Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #1 
roadplug

Talking Sid

Here is another of my boys, Sid. He's the camera shy boy. Is he a simply a red CT? Does he have any problems that he shouldn't be bred? i got him from Petco.

Name:  SidFish (2).jpg
Views: 133
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  SidFish-4.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  67.0 KB

Last edited by roadplug; 09-05-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: more info
roadplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

He's really pretty!!! His color pattern is sometimes called "blue devil". I don't think he would be very desirable for breeding because he doesn't have very many ray branchings, and the rays themselves are uneven. His tail is also less voluminous than most crowntails. But I'm sure he makes a great pet, he's really cute!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

BUT if you found a female with near-perfect finnage, then you could breed him! I've always heard that the female carries more of the finnage genes, while as the male is more of the color.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #4 
roadplug

I don't think the girls i have so far are CT, and petsmart didn't mark them. Can you tell by looking at a girl or do you have to know there bloodlines? I hope someone here would have a girl for Sid i could buy. Would i have to go with a blue devil girl or could i breed him to a very differently colored female just to see what would happen? I don't want to make 'mud', unless 'mud' colored CT would be cool ^.^))

I would be fine with him being a pet too. I bid and won a boy on aquabid that is being shipped Tuesday! And i have Tobey too.
Thanks very much for answering - i really appreciate the info :D
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #5 
GreenTea

You can tell! My female crowntail looks like this -

GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #6 
Laki

LOL female CT are SOOOO cute!!! Sid's a very nice color though! Good choice:)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #7 
Indyfishy

Green Tea is right, it's very obvious when you have a crown-tail female, they have such cute little rays! (by the way, green tea, she is ADORABLE!!!) You wouldn't absolutely have to know the bloodlines, but it does help you figure out what kind of fry you're going to get. If you're looking for a good crowntail female, you could try posting a want add in the betta classifieds sections of the forum =) Petco also has crowntail females, if you wanted a cheaper option. As far as getting "mud" colored crowntails, that is very unlikely. Betta breeding isn't like mixing paint colors, it's sooooo much more complicated than that. Blue and red are the most dominant colors in betta genetics, so if you breed that male with any other female, you are most likely to get red and blue crowntails. If you get a marble female, then you might have more variation of color =)
Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #8 
roadplug

wonderful! I'm so excited - Green tea's little girl is so pretty and it looks to me like she has a nice evenly spaced tail 'spread' and would be nice to breed. Thanks very much for sharing her picture.

I've made Mud or very serious mistakes breeding horses and dogs [ not that i really meant to breed dogs, i am a strong supporter of spaying and neutering. But the two times i let myself be talked into breeding a girl before i got her spayed, it was baaaad and if you breed two palominos you are likely to get an albino, I didn't do that, but i saw plenty of boo boos. Are there any colors or traits in bettas that just should never have babies? I read something about a tail type, was it Rose that shouldnt have babies because they can have a crooked tail? [I cant find that thread again right now]

Oh, and Sid was making a bubble nest! I thought at first the bubbles were protein and his tank was already dirty [it was a 1/2 gal temp] I'm so thankful to this site - it wasn't protein from being dirty! I'm sure he made a bubble nest - i think that foamy effect is only in a dirty salt water tank.
I rocked his world again anyway and put him in his two gallon home i brought home today. But if he was happy once - he will be again!

And Tobey looks really metallic in his new tank under a real aquarium light.
WooHoo!
Oh - and now i have a ten gallon tank and a gallon and a half tank just sitting with conditioned water, moss balls and java moss and no fish! Everyone else has their home - except the boy i got on aquabid that shipped from the seller today - i should get him Thurs or Fri - the water in his tank may have to be changed by then. :)
Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #9 
Indyfishy

Sounds like your fish is getting really good care! that's awesome =D As far as things that shouldn't be bred, rose-tails definitely shouldn't be bred as it can cause alot of deformities in the fry. Also, don't breed two doubletail bettas together. It is best to breed a double tail to a single tail to avoide spine deformities. Other than that, just pick fish that have even rays, straight spines, and even scales =) Before you start breeding, make sure you do tonssssss of research. Raising betta fry is not an easy thing. Make sure you have a place to rehome the fry before you even start breeding, and make sure that you're prepared to cull the fry if they are born deformed. It would be a really good idea for you to post a new thread in the breeding section, just to get some good information from the experienced breeders on this site =) Feel free to ask them any questions, they'll help you out alot!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #10 
Fieldz

What a nice Betta you have! He would really call the attention of all the females!

Congratulations :D
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crown tail, male betta, red