Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #1 
Vaughan06

Natural Colored Gravel?

The gravel sold in stores comes in many colors, but which one, if any, is natural? I'm bored of the typical colors (blue,green), and I am thinking of buying a gravel that looks more natural, specifically the Bronze color.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:39 AM   #2 
Draug Isilme

xD Me, too! I actually came across a bag of 5lb bronze-ish gravel that looked VERY natural at my Walmart (which I would've bought, but didn't have money ;__; ), so maybe you could try one there near you? You might get lucky... I never knew they sold any of that color until I looked yesterday, and it was the only one at the very back/bottom of the shelf just.. sitting there and collecting dust...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #3 
Kytkattin

They (anyplace that sells gravel) always have some form of natural gravel. It tends to be either a nice reddish color with browns, or light with whites and tans. I have always bought natural colored rock because I don't trust the painted stuff and like the look of a more natural tank.
However, with natural gravel I find it hard to find the color you want specifically. I wanted black for years (natural black, not painted, which is everywhere!). Right now I have aquarium plant substrate which is a nice red, but comes in a variety of colors (as I learned after I bought the reddish one!).
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #4 
beagle

You can see some natural light brownish gravel I have in this tank. I got it at petsmart, its about the most natural I could find.
Attached Images

beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #5 
Vaughan06

I think I bought the same gravel you have in that picture, Beagle. I really like it.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #6 
Vaughan06

Did that big rock beside the square in the middle come with the gravel? Because when I poured out my bag a VERY similar rock fell out.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

When I used gravel in my tanks many years ago...I would buy it at home depot or lowes in the garden area...I would get the big bags of pea gravel...I think 25 or 50# for under $5.00.....really small diameter and smooth roundish in different shades of tan/brown......its collected from rivers and streams I think so its natural....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

petco has larger brownish colored rock gravel and dark brown sand, as well as blue and i think black sand.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #9 
beagle

No that bigger rock is a well cleaned beach rock I put in there for the plant to attach to. I accidentally knocked it away from the plant but it has since been placed by the plant again.

Oldfishlady, that is a great idea, if I ever replaced my gravel a trip to home depot will be in order.
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote