Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #1 
ArcticRain

Unhappy Am I doing something wrong?

So first off, I went on a three day vacation. I read all about it and everyone said I could leave my Betta home for three days without feeding him and that he would be fine. Sadly, I just came home to find my Betta dead. It makes me feel really bad because this is my second Betta in a month that has died. My first Betta got really sick after treating him for fin rot.

I feel like a very bad fish owner and that I just want to give up on my fish keeping dream.
Am I do something wrong? Should I just NOT by another Betta?
I feel very sad and depressed right now. What should I do?
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #2 
CoverMeInClay

The fact that he didn't eat, more then likely not the problem. He may have been sick and it just wasn't something that was noticed. What conditions was he in? size of housing? Last time you had done a water change?
If you are upset about your betta passing I'd just remain without a fish for a while. Maybe not long, but until you feel a little better. Check out what you can do differently, if in fact there was something wrong in what you were doing.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #3 
Leeniex

Just wanted to say I'm sorry, I know it hurts. I bought a new guy on Friday and he died today. I hope you keep trying.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #4 
ArcticRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverMeInClay View Post
The fact that he didn't eat, more then likely not the problem. He may have been sick and it just wasn't something that was noticed. What conditions was he in? size of housing? Last time you had done a water change?
He is in a 2.5 gallon with a filter and heater. I just got him Wensday so I planned to do a water change today. He seemed to be acting fine before I left. Though he was very stressed. He has had stress lines since the day I got him till when I left the house. Could he have died from stress? He isnt floating at the top of the water, he is at the bottom. Is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
Just wanted to say I'm sorry, I know it hurts. I bought a new guy on Friday and he died today. I hope you keep trying.
Thank you!

Last edited by ArcticRain; 09-05-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #5 
EverythingNice55

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that! But, from what I see you aren't a BAD fish owner! I think you must have treated him very well! He may have been sick all this time or something. I think you should try again and get another betta. How long were you away on vacation? Only three days?
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #6 
ArcticRain

I fed him dinner then left on Friday night. I came back this afternoon. So yes, three days.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #7 
EverythingNice55

Oh, OK. Now I understand. Once again, I'm sorry to hear.
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #8 
ArcticRain

Thank you!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #9 
PitGurl

If you changed his water right before you left then he would be fine for three days in a 2 1/2 gallon. Betta's can go a week with no food and be ok so don't worry about 3 days. Most likely your guy already had something wrong. You said this is your second loss in a month. Did they both come from the same place? If they did you may want to try another store if that is an option. Also what type of water are you using? If your using tap make sure your dosing the conditioner correctly. If you keep having problems you may want to give spring water a try. Just make sure it's spring and not distilled. Sorry about your bettas but don't give up .
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #10 
ArcticRain

I am going to get a new Betta soon, this time from a different Pet Shop! Thank you all for your advice and support. It makes me feel better knowing that he was probably sick when i bought him. Thanks again.