Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #1 
erinandares

Thumbs up So Who Else Writes?

I know, I know, my DOWF on here in the art section is bunk. A) I type in it when I have writer's block. B) 1st person omniscient is not my friend... >.>

But anyway, I like to fancy myself a bit of a writer. I was wondering who else on this site writes seriously- I'm looking for a bit of an impartial critic who won't be afraid to tell me what for. I won't be posting any of my actual writing here, but would like to maybe do a quick e-mail correspondence so I can send you a few files...? I don't know, maybe this is totally off base, but I think I really need this right now. I would also be glad to give my critiques in return, if you're looking for them.

The piece in question is the very beginning stages of a series of fantasy (I hate to classify it as that, but it kind of is) novels, including an introduction, character musings, plot notes, even a glossary of important terms and concepts. I don't have a map on my computer, but I'm drawing one out in real life. I'm taking this extremely seriously. It's pretty comprehensive, so I think any questions that might arise can be answered within my many notes. If not, I would be glad to explain things. I'm very nice, I promise.

I guess post here or shoot me a PM, yo. Chat it up!
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #2 
Sakura8

I write, when I'm not busy beating my brains out about writer's block. I write pretty much fantasy because I have no grasp of reality, haha. Although I'm working on the plot for my first non-fantasy book. PM me and we can exchange e-mail addresses since that'll be the easiest way to send and receive files. What program do you use to write? I can save files in .pages or in .doc, or in .docx or whatever the file extension is for the newest version of Microsoft Office.

Lately, most of what I've written are writings about how I can't write. :P I call them my rantings and ravings and they're usually more interesting than the actual story I'm raving about.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #3 
erinandares

Aha, Sakura, I'll shoot you a PM. I just have a little dell netbook, so I write on notepad on that. Not exactly the most user friendly (literally all you can do is type, no editing functions other than the copy/paste), but it definitely makes me careful with mechanics. :p

What I write would definitely be considered fantasy. I just don't like the label fantasy, not sure why. :/ Anyway, I'll get to that PM. :o
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Sometimes it's better to write using a simple program. Then you aren't all distracted by things. I've often thought about getting a typewriter. Then I won't be as tempted to get lost on the internet doing "research."
Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Lol. Am I the only one who still writes by hand? I know it takes forever, but I like it so much better than typing out a first draft. I've even compared some stuff that I hand-wrote the first draft to works that I typed the first draft, and found that when I hand-write it seems to be much better. I don't really know why. And for that reason, most of my stuff isn't on the computer.

I'd love to help you, Erin, but job-hunting and school is just taking up too much of my time. My fishies aren't being neglected but my writing sure is. I haven't picked up a pen in months.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #6 
Sakura8

I sometimes write notes by hand. Haha, I actually got discouraged when I wrote by hand because it'd look so impressive and neat in the notebook and then I'd type it out and realize that 10 handwritten pages barely made two computer pages. XD But there is definitely something nostalgic about handwriting something, isn't there?

I think what helps when you handwrite is the process is slower so you have more time to think about what you're putting down on paper. When you type, sometimes your fingers get ahead of your brain. Or at least that happens with me.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #7 
erinandares

That's true... My handwriting is tiny, though. My best friend jokes on me saying I spent so much time reading as a kid that my handwriting looks like it came straight out of a computer printer. And it does. Lol. My handwriting to typing ratio is usually one and a half pages handwritten to every page typed.

And don't feel bad, Koi. I only started typing my stuff after I graduated high school and had my own computer... Well, technically, it was after my parents' divorce, but those two things happened very close to one another. I have binders and folders and notebooks and those little plastic carts with the multiple drawers chock full of brainstorms and random scenes from my old story. I dropped it because it felt... immature. I had been working on it since freshman year of high school. I am now graduated. Lol.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

I think that is why I like better, Sakura. You hit the nail on the head. My hands often move faster than my head when typing, but I have to slow them down when I write. My handwriting averages out to about 1.5-2 handwritten to one typed (my writing has a tendency to change size). Not too bad especially since I like writing short stories.

I've even had my own computer now for about 5 years and still haven't gotten around to typing up some of my old stuff. I'm just lazy and neglectful of my writing. My boyfriend has actually encouraged me the most to type it. He likes reading typed pages more than handwritten (especially because my notebook pages are filled with notes and corrections and squiggles).
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I do! I do!
My one teacher wrote on my poem "Road to Hell", "a damn fine poem, good job!" it's fun to do.

I SHOULD get back into typing up some stuff... like one in particular -spooky- :o
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #10 
Sakura8

I picture myself with a typewriter, sitting in a peaceful meadow with nothing to distract me and all of nature to inspire me, writing away like any diligent author would. And then I wake up. :P