Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #1 
Sarahlydear

Please remind me why I shouldn't

So today I discovered the fish section of my college town WalMart...every betta was either floating or sinking. There wasn't one that was healthy and most were females. Luckily I had no money on me but man I don't know if I can go back there. I kept trying to remind myself
1) that it only encourages them to buy more
2) supports the abuse but I've NEVER seen it this bad.
3) I'm a college student and I can't properly support another one to the degree I want.

I keep thinking that Anything would be better and I can easily find another home for him or her.
BUT I know it would be wrong. I already have 3 bettas, 3 snails and some cherry shrimp.

Support please! This is the hardest I've ever had to resist.
Why can't the world just realize that bettas are fish too! And not be filled with crap employees that don't care. >:(
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #2 
iloveengl

I understand your concern 100%. My husband and I made the decision years ago to never purchase cup bettas from any chain store that kept them in poor conditions (and that purchases them from mills), which includes most chain pet stores. We made this decision for exactly the reasons you listed above.

Sometimes it is excruciating to see them suffer and know that you could potentially save one life. Ultimately though it is imperative to remember that potentially saving one life means dooming countless others. It's tempting to tell yourself "How much am I really impacting the world? What difference am I going to make?" But it takes the strength and resolve of each individual to stand up against abuse and "mills" in order to make a difference long term for the well being of these bettas. It sucks. I don't allow myself to go to the fish section of those kinds of pet stores, because it is too heartbreaking to stand.

When you're in this situation, don't think you're helpless. Write an email or a letter to that store's corporate office. Let them know that you appreciate their store but you are abhorred by the lack of care that employees are taking. Phrase it in a way that the store sees that this is affecting their bottom dollar. The bettas are dying in their cups and not being purchased. People are being turned off by the poor keeping and refusing to purchase from their store. Etc. Let them know that you aren't against the selling of bettas, but of the employees not doing their job.

Another step to take is to educate your peers. I stopped a friend of mine from purchasing a pet store betta after explaining my views on the subject. She agreed, and is now researching betta care and needs, as well as local breeders in her area.

There are many people who will save that suffering cup betta, and I honestly cannot blame them. Not in the least. But I do agree with your side of the issue, and I want to tell you that I think you are doing the right thing.

*hug*
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #3 
ErrantWhimsy

Don't purchase a fish, complain! Get the contact information for the store manager. Tell him/her you are horrified by the conditions they keep live animals in and will be reporting it to every animals rights organization and news station you can find contact information for.

Just because they are small and aquatic, doesn't mean they can be abused. Go in, take pictures, send the photos to management.
ErrantWhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #4 
Sarahlydear

Hmm I may just do that. The only thing is I have done this with other critters and absolutely nothing has happened...I guess I'll have to be more "persistent." ;p

Thanks for the hug by the way!

I understand the responsible thing but I also kinda just want to hit the aquatics guy. I'll remember my camera the next time we go in and will start writing letters though.
Anyone have some examples of what they have written? Just to give me something to start with.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #5 
Bresn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahlydear View Post
So today I discovered the fish section of my college town WalMart...every betta was either floating or sinking. There wasn't one that was healthy and most were females. Luckily I had no money on me but man I don't know if I can go back there. I kept trying to remind myself
1) that it only encourages them to buy more
2) supports the abuse but I've NEVER seen it this bad.
3) I'm a college student and I can't properly support another one to the degree I want.

I keep thinking that Anything would be better and I can easily find another home for him or her.
BUT I know it would be wrong. I already have 3 bettas, 3 snails and some cherry shrimp.

Support please! This is the hardest I've ever had to resist.
Why can't the world just realize that bettas are fish too! And not be filled with crap employees that don't care. >:(
You talk to them about the fish or NEVER buy a fish from there
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #6 
Sarahlydear

I think I'll do a bit of both. This weekend I'm going to try and sit down and write out some letters and what not to send out and see if I can annoy them into taking care of the bettas.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

Every time I go to walmart it's a fight now not to find the manager and chew them out for the betta care...

I saw a betta in one of those dinky half gallon tanks and this gorgeous marble boy in a BETTA BARREL! HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY AIR TO GET ACCESS TO! *rage* I almost threw a fit right there and forced myself to walk away saying: 'He's alive. He's swimming. He's alive" To myself and "Focus on your babies..." Meaning my own boys...

WalMart ain't getting away next time.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #8 
Sarahlydear

I'm excited. :) Last night a girl from down the hall came over and saw my three babies in their spoiled place and decided she wanted one!

So last night we went out and bought everything; a 2.5gal Kritter Keeper, heater, decor, food, Prime, ect. and a b.e.a.u.t.i.fu.l., healthy crowntail boy.
She is waiting for the heater to get stable and make sure it's working correctly but just can't wait to get him in the bigger tank and start spoiling him. He went to a really great home and I definitely have another betta lover to help me out (we ended up going to WalMart for cheaper supplies and I had to stop Her from going to the manager).

This is made awesomer because she has a roommate that has her betta in a 1/2gal bowl with no heater and we got her roommate thinking about the care of her betta! She's now considering getting a heater!

A small win for bettas and I'm trying to focus on that. :)