Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #1 
GreenTea

Exclamation What's going on with his stomach?

Tank: giant hmpk in a 20 gal long tank heated to 80 degrees and unfiltered until just now, I was able to creatively baffle it. Minimum 50% and 80% change a month, gravel vac both times. Top off evaporated water with new water as well as it has been crazy hot in my house. No sharp decorations, only live plants and some fake plants.

His stomach has looked like this for a few weeks and not gotten worse or better. The scales on his stomach appear like they have been filed down, and turned gray. As in it looks like half the scale is missing. In one area it looks like the skin has become a little loose and moved, like someone smudged it. He is otherwise acting normally. It was impossible to get an accurate photo of what this looks like but I tried, these are the best shots I could get.

The only thing I can think of was that a few weeks ago he jumped out of his pan while I was changing water. He was only out for a second after landing on carpet and didn't get sick or anything. I doubt this would have damaged his scales. I'm not even sure if this is scale damage or just some weird disease issue?

Photos -

I think ^^^this^^^ photo shows what it looks like the best

The white-ish line by his pelvic fins here is the "smudged" skin looking part.

Maybe it's just his scales? Because today he built his first ever bubble nest, pretty neato!

GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #2 
dragonflie

I'll admit I'm stumped by this one, I'm sorry. I haven't seen anything like it. I would expect the belly to pale some if they are bloated; but the area of swelling seems too small for that. And then there's the other scales around it...they look..odd, for lack of a better word.

I didn't think a sick betta would make a bubble nest, but I could be wrong about that; I only had maybe 2 that would nest at all out of all the bettas I've had.

As far as the jumping out, well I would expect to have seen an injury right after he did it if there was going to be one. But I haven't had that happen (yet) with mine so I can't say if something like that can appear after the fact.

Wishing your betta friend well, and hoping he is ok.

*I wanted to add, you are of course need to do what you feel is best, but I was curious; plakats tend to be stronger swimmers due to their short fins, your filter might not even need baffling. Of course if he is bothered by the filter I understand then, I was just curious about it.

*hug*
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #3 
GreenTea

Yeah I ended up here because I had one jump! I've had it happen a few times, nothing like this. I just baffled it so I'd feel better about it, I worry about them getting into the filters, heard too many horror stories.

Thanks for responding, I hope Darkmoon or OFL or other will chime in with ideas. It doesn't look like bacterial infection to me, no open sores or anything, and he's happy as a clam so maybe he's just changed.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #4 
dragonflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Yeah I ended up here because I had one jump! I've had it happen a few times, nothing like this. I just baffled it so I'd feel better about it, I worry about them getting into the filters, heard too many horror stories.

Thanks for responding, I hope Darkmoon or OFL or other will chime in with ideas. It doesn't look like bacterial infection to me, no open sores or anything, and he's happy as a clam so maybe he's just changed.
Ah I'm sorry, ok I didn't even consider that. I've been using sponge filters for so long I think I forgot about the gaps in a HOB.

I wish I could be of more help, but all I know about illness is what I find from google, and in this case I'm at a loss. I'm glad to hear he seems to be acting well though. :)

I'm sure someone will come along soon with more info!
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

He overall is acting and eating okay, making bubble nest....

Problem-discolored stomach...correct...

In the 20gal unfiltered (now filtered)...twice weekly water changes, 80F....

Questions-any live plants, additives used, any tank mates, how long have you had him, any recent treatments, appetite and type/amount of food/feeding

No behavior changes...just discolored stomach.....right.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #6 
GreenTea

Yeah just the stomach. His still his very aggressive self and active.

It's not even really his stomach on the bottom, it's the sides of it. I know a white stomach is normal and he's had that, but the weird gray scales are new. He's never had any live mates, and yeah he had/has some live plants. They weren't getting enough light, some were dying, so I removed them with this last change, and pruned the hardier plants for the dead parts.

I feed him 8 - 14 small new life spectrum pellets a day, freeze bloodworms once or twice a month. I use Seachem Prime. I've had him for about a month.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

If he is overall acting and eating like his normal self...I would just watch the area....it may be normal color changes often seen with maturing and/or marble gene...can you post a full body shot....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #8 
GreenTea

Ok I will, his stomach has just been kind of changing color since I got him.