Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #1 
LittleBettas

Swollen/inflammed gills, 4th betta with same symptons

Having a BAD day
This morning I woke up late, checked on everyone, Grendel, my dalmation Vieltail, was clamped up at the bottom of his QT tank, same symptons that Chance, Shoebox, and Alpine showed the day before they died, however, I did not see swollen gills...

Now, I just got home and he was floating like /

same way all thre did right before they died.... and Grendel has swollen gills! :(

I have no idea what to do, I have no idea what this is, but this is the 4th betta I have gotten from walmart (all four of them were/are SKELETONS)

I treated Chance for SBD, 1 tsp of espom salt per gallon of water, 100% daily water changes, no improvements and he passed away within a week

Next, Shoebox, I treated him with 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon of water, 100% daily water changes, no improvement and passed away within a week

Alpine Ice lasted the longest, treated him for SBD an he seemed to get better, then took a sudden down hill and passed away the next day

Now Grendel is showing the same symptons, if the pattern continues, he will pass away by the end of today.

Grendel is on his first day of parasite treatment.... 100% water changes daily

Does anyone know what is going on?????
None of my other bettas are showing these signs, neither when I brought them home or now, everyone else was a healthy weight though....
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #2 
Sakura8

:/ I'm so sorry to hear Grendel is showing the same symptoms. Not good at all. Continue with the parasite treatment for now and maybe PM OFL. I don't know if it's like an iridovirus or something like that but it sounds contagious. Be sure you are not cross-contaminating with the tanks of the healthy fish. Maybe even get them out of the same room as the sick fish just to be on the safe side. Good luck and I'll be checking back later. I hope Grendel hangs in there.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #3 
LittleBettas

Thank you Sakura, Im going to PM OFL
Al four of the bettas who showed these symptons were bought at different times, they all have the same symptons, but the "base" is how underweight they are/were
Grendel is seperate from everyone else, but Shoebox and Chance were in the same room as everyone, no one else is showing symptoms
Old 09-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #4 
LittleBettas

Grendel passed away :(

Im taking him tommorrow and goin to have a talk with the manager....
Old 09-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #5 
aurasoulful

Do you think bettas can carry gill flukes? I know goldfish get them off and on. I have a goldfish tank that I have to treat every six months. Sounds like something the flukes would do to a fish. They damage the gills and suck the life out of the fish. I know flukes can be carried through any water supply. Just a thought that came to mind. I'm very sorry LittleBettas that you lost those fish. I'm telling you, Walmart needs to stop selling livestock. This is happening so much, maybe it will soon be enough for them to have to discontinue fish. What they don't realize (or care) is that we are buying these fish not for the company's profit, but for the fish's benefit.
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #6 
LittleBettas

I have no idea if they can... I know there are at least three other bettas currently at my walmart with the samebody shape.... all from a new shipment of bettas
Im going to hav a serious talk with the manager, I suspect there may be something going on with this breeder since the last two new shipments have had bettas like Grendel, and bettas with SEVERE finrot, SBD and even parasites, and the bettas that have been there before the new bettas are still rasonbly healthy
Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #7 
aurasoulful

Yeah, you're probably right. Keep us posted
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #8 
LittleBettas

Will do, OFL said it does sound like an issue with the breeder.... going to try to get the breeders information while there tomorrow
Old 09-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Aw man, I'm so sorry to hear Grendel passed away too, LittleBettas. :( *hugs* Definitely something going on with their bettas. I hope things work out when you talk to them at the store.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #10 
LittleBettas

Ditto that, thank you Sakura
If I can get the breeder info I am posting it, def not good breeding and the person is obviously careless