Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #1 
MemoryKissed

Two new Betta fish

Hey I'm new to the fish thing. I'm ashamed to say the two new Betta fish were a impulse buy last night from the local Petco. We talked and talked to the lady in the fish department and decided to come home with two male Betta's. One is a Delta tail I was told and is a blue and red color. He seems to swim around a lot and loves to come to the front of the tank when I walk by. He just swims around in front of me and follows my figure. He also doesn't mind swimming in place when I have a camera out. I love it. The other is a lot smaller and I'm not sure of the color. they said it was a double moon tail? He is uber small but my girls wanted him because they said he was a baby. I've been reading around on here sense we got them and now I'm not so sure if he should be that small. The small one is super lazy while the other one will swim most of the day. We named the big one Guss Guss "Shark Bait" Turner Wu haha and the little one my girls named Elephant. lol He wouldn't eat last night so I broke the food up for him a little bit today and he ate it right up. That is the only time he has gotten excited except when he saw Guss Guss and they both puffed up at eachother. Anyway I wanted to post a picture and make sure they are both healthy looking. I dont want the little guys to be sick. I have read maybe petco wasn't the best place to get them. So any help is great. Any other information on color names and stuff would be fun to know as well. Thanks so much. P.S. We got Wardley Betta food alimento because that is what we were told to get? Anything on that? Two pics are of Guss Guss. One is a bad pic but its of him puffing up at the camera. So I thought it was cute. The other two are of Elephant.
Attached Images

MemoryKissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...and what a neat thing to do for your children....this is a great hobby for the whole family....

Beautiful Bettas by the way....nice find......

On the small guy....double tails are sometimes more compact or have a shorter body...this is normal in some respects, however, we do like to try and breed that out since the shorter body can sometimes cause problems in regard to swimbladder problems especially when overfed....
His size should not be a problem....he may or may not grow bigger body...but the fins will continue to grow for their whole life...that never stops....

Since you are a new keeper-if you will give us your tank stats we can help you maintain a healthy system...prevention is much easier than treating...
Tank size, filter, live plants, type of additives used, water temp etc....

Since Bettas are tropical fish-they do better in water temp of 76-80F...you may or may not need a heater, however, its a good idea to have one on hand

You do need a thermometer to monitor the tank temp and temp of the replacement water used for water changes to try and keep the new water within a few degrees of the old water to prevent temp shock issues...

If you are on city water supply you need a good dechlorinator to add to any water added to the fish....be sure it covers and you dose the proper amount for both chlorine and chloramine...some dechlorinator require double dose if you have both in your source water.....

Nutrition-you want to offer a good quality varied diet-fed in small frequent meals...the food doesn't have to be Betta specific-you want the first ingredients to be fish/seafood meal or whole...
Be sure and remove any uneaten food within a reasonable time so not to foul the water between water changes....

What other supply do you have on hand.....

Look forward to hearing more about your new wet pets.....ask all the questions you need...we are here to help.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #3 
MemoryKissed

Hey ok Ill try. They live in a 2.5 gal tank. There water is about 73. Is that ok? We treated all the water with dropps that are supposed to get the yucky stuff out of the water. We hae a filter that came with the tank but are not using it. The lady t the store told us we didnt need to as long as we change out the water every week. Is that bad? Thank you so much about the info. I was so worried about the little guy. Any idea what color he is? I couldnt have a clue.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #4 
fishy friend2

You need the filter and it would be a whole lot better if you had 2 2.5 gallons instead of one because 2.5 gallons is the minimum tank size for just one
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #5 
fishy friend2

And the tank water should be at a minimum of 74
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Do you have a name for the drops you are using.....

IMO/E-the divided 2.5gal unfiltered tank is fine for 2 Bettas-provided that proper water changes are made, uneaten food removed and the Bettas are not overfed.....

In a 2.5gal unfiltered/divided tank with 2 Bettas...I would make twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality

Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even for the partial water change...

If they came in the small temporary cups...keep them and the lids...they are great to use for QT to treat and/or to use for the 100% water changes...

Your water temp is on the low side, however, they can handle temps lower than recommended short term, but it can sometimes cause problems long term....you may need to go ahead and get a heater..

On my small tanks I use the preset 78F type, however, the temp can vary by 5-10 degrees more or less based on room temp, but I have found that to be an issue with the adjustable type heater as well...but it is usually only about 5 degrees more or less that they vary based on room temp

I also agree about the filter-you don't have to use it and often in the small tanks they can cause too much water movement for the Betta and cause fin problems....however, with the filter it can change water changes to 50% twice a week and you wouldn't need the 100%...you can baffle the filter to help with water movement...some place on here we have a sticky posted that gives a step-by-step instruction on how to baffle filters....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #7 
MaggieLynn

The water temp needs to be in the range of 78-82, petco has some pretty decent preset heaters. Bettas are tropical fish so they need warm water
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #8 
MemoryKissed

Thank you all so much. The water conditioner is Kordon AmQuel Plus ammonia detxifier. I have noticed many people have many different options on tank. I thank you all for each of yours. Its so sad to say we have had them for less than a day and Im already addicted. Lol
Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #9 
Myates

Welcome to the forums, and to the betta world =)
You are in good hands with Oldfishlady, she knows her stuff! Handsome guys you have. Some may not agree with you on the tank, the recommended minimum for bettas is 1gal. You have a 2.5 split, so they still get their 1gal. With the recommended water treatment, they can live happily for a long time in there together.
Only thing I would recommend is keeping an eye on them. The slots in the divider look pretty large, if one decides to lean against it, the other may try to take a nibble of their fins. If you see that happening, there are many other home made alternatives you can use, or you can place more tall plants on one side of the divider to break up the line of sight.

Again, welcome!

(Oh and it's not sad.. we all pretty much get the betta bug our first one lol, you got bitten!)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #10 
MemoryKissed

Ok Ill be Sure to watch them near the holes. So far Elephant won't even go near the divider. Im guessing because Guss Guss is so much bigger than him. I'm starting to see more color on elephant. He is like a purple and red color. They both love to watch us. I was amazed at how fast they seemed to get used to everything. They don't seem to be afraid of us or my girls. They just come right up to the glass when wE walk up. Guss Guss likes to stay perfectly still with his fins out when I have my camera out to take a picture. I love it