Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #1 
SKA123

Heaters, Salt, etc Please answer

Okay so tomorrow I am going to Wal-Mart with some friends to shop. Mainly to shop for betta products.

I'm looking at this heater from Tetra it is called Tetra heater 5-15. (does that mean gallons? Cause my tank is only 2.5 gallons ) It says it automatically goes to 78 degrees. It has gotten good reviews and I'm thinking about buying it.

I'm also looking at Jungle salt aquarium salt. My fish isn't sick, but since I'm paranoid, I want it just in case. Anyone have any ideas on this products?

I don't have a lot of money, but I'm willing to get this for him. It's going to get cold here real fast up North and i wanna be prepared. :)
SKA123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

The numbers are the gallon size it's suitable for. It's a good heater, but you'll need one that's suitable fora 2.5 gal.

As for other products, it's always good to aquarium salt and epsom salt on hand. If you have the funds for it, it's also good to have parasite medication as a just in case. Another optional is a different kind of food to switch things up for your betta too. Krill is a good option because it's got really high protein and bettas love it for the most part. It should last for a long time too since you only need small chunks every once in a while.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #3 
Draug Isilme

I don't really know much about this heater, but definitely keep an eye on it and test it out before you put your fish in there. If anything, check out reviews about it on different websites that sell the heater you're looking for. I've come across a LOT of people on this thread, and bad reviews on various sites, for the cheaper heaters that aren't adjustable... Usually it ends up nearly boiling the fish alive, but not all heaters are jank like that, so you might come across a good one. Of course the more expensive ones still come with risks, but they're just less likely to happen. A good example would be when I was looking for a good heater. All the cheap ones I saw were more in the 3 star range or less. When I started looking at $20-$30 range heaters, they were more in the 4 1/2 to 4 star range. I narrowed it down to two, and from all the reviews it came down to two.. which I was about to go with one, but I ended up reading a review where their heater exploded and glass went everywhere and... yeah >.> it wasn't pretty.. so I went with the other one xD Working great so far..
If anything, you might want to try out the cheaper heater now, and on the side look for a better heater that's suitable, longer lasting, and more reliable. If it doesn't work to your liking, you'll be able to return it. Regardless on the situation, always test it before you go straight into it with heaters, 'cause you never know what you're gonna get >.>.. good luck
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:10 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

I have the tetra heater for a 10 gallon and have no problems with over or under heating. Although it not being adjustable isn't convenient, it gets the job done. I do recommend you get a tetra brand that is appropriate for your tank size if you cannot find an adjustable one. I've seen plenty of users post pictures with a tetra heater in the background.

It's better than the more expensive heater that I bought for up to 3 gallons since that one only keeps the temperature from going below 76.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #5 
Draug Isilme

*shrugs* I did point out that some of them aren't complete crap, it just depends on how lucky you get along with how well the company produces them >.> I sprang for one that was around the low $20's (which is actually way cheaper than what it usually is priced at, but I found it on sale) that was adjustable because it was a great heater that was suited for small tank sizes, and it works perfectly, especially on the off-chance my betta gets sick and I need to adjust the heater temperature to something higher or lower and that's much more convenient than buying a heater that isn't adjustable, in the long run. Like I said, I'm not saying the heater you're suggesting isn't appropriate, because I'm sure it is. I was merely suggesting that when you look at how the reviews, and the amount of satisfaction or dissatisfaction, where would you be saving time and money in the long term outlook?

Edit: Also, I was trying to say that no matter the price, you should always do as much research as possible before buying the product. There are still possibilities that you won't be satisfied with the product, but those chances are decreased when you begin to know what the product is all about, how many people are have used and are satisfied/dissatisfied with it themselves, and how long durable the product is. Otherwise, I wouldn't have pointed out that a more expensive one actually managed to blow up on someone >.> pointing out a flaw that expensive ones aren't always the way to go.. but there've been cheaper ones, like I said, that have almost/have boiled fish over night-which is why you always test them out for at least a day beforehand.

Last edited by Draug Isilme; 09-07-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

I have one of those tetra heaters for my 2 gallon QT. it keeps it steady at 78. I tried it in my bigger tank 5 gallons..and it only got up to 76..It works well in my 2 gallon though.I use the jungle aquarium salt..It comes in a bag right? I like that, because I once sat my aquarium salt box on the counter that was wet...The bottom of it got all caked together and I had to toss it. :(
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

I have a 50 watt tetra heater and it can barely heat up a 3 gallon tank yet its designed for 10 gallons but i think it also depends on your room temp. I live in alaska and in the winter when it was -50F outside, it was maybe 60 in here (with my heat set up to 90 and a space heater on full force), the temp in my tank never got above 72 and sometimes went down to 68.

aquarium salt is good to have and if you have extra $$ so is epsom salt - non scented. There is also some type of tea that helps bettas but i am not sure what kind it is. I wanna say decaf green tea but Im not positive. I use indian almond leaves in my tanks but i have to import that from asia. It releases something into the water and tints it amber colored, like water they are normally found in.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #8 
SKA123

wow, so much information. I'm kind of having a hard time finding a heater for a 2.5 gallon tank and I really want to find it before it get's really cold outside. :( so maybe one of you could recommend a good 2.5 gallon heater, please?

Last edited by SKA123; 09-07-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

I have heard really good things about these heaters:
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...5415793&sr=8-1

I don't have one of those yet though.In my smaller tanks I use adjustable cascade heat heaters by penn plax..I found them at pet supermarket for around the same price as the tetras.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #10 
SKA123

okay so i looked at the link and i'm thinking about buying it, but should i get the 25 watt or the 50 watt?