Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #1 
Vaughan06

Picture of my new 10 Gallon Divided

Finally finished dividing my 10 gallon tank. I am using a filter for the first time, but I still need to find a sponge to baffle it with. I figured one big plant in the middle plus a Betta log for each would be sufficient, any opinions? I want them to have as much swim space possible, without the tank looking crowded.

Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #2 
MMAsac
Banned

looks pretty good, but i dont see any heater in there to keep the water upto temperature for them
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #3 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAsac View Post
looks pretty good, but i dont see any heater in there to keep the water upto temperature for them
The heater is still with them in their 5 gallon tank. I'm waiting until after I baffle the filter to move it and the Bettas.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #4 
MMAsac
Banned

cool sounds like a good plan. does your divider have holes in it for water flow??
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #5 
Sowman

Looks good and yes, please baffle the filter. I did on my 10g as well.
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #6 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAsac View Post
cool sounds like a good plan. does your divider have holes in it for water flow??
Oh yeah. It is made of plastic mesh, so there are hundreds of holes. I do hope both sides are equally filtered, though.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #7 
Kytkattin

I have a filter rated for a 30 gallon tank on my 5 gallon tank. With a baffle the surface is perfectly still! They are super happy. Haven't had any filtration problems so far, but live plants might be helping with that as well.
I am not sure if the minimalist approach is the best way to go since you do have all that space. With only one plant and a betta log they don't have much to explore. I have noticed that my fish just love having things to look at. Hence why I love live plants, a slightly new aquascape every day! Also, because it is a divided tank, the more things you can add to break up their view of each other, the less stressed they will be. You want them to have adequate swimming space, but from my experience they actually swim more when they have to swim around something instead of feeling like they have too much open water and stick around the one or two plants for comfort.

Of course each betta is different. Some might prefer to have a ton of open space. Only you, the fishkeeper can decide what is best for your fish!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #8 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I am not sure if the minimalist approach is the best way to go since you do have all that space.
I am having second thoughts as well. I might take the cave and shipwreck they have in their current tank and move it over to the new tank. Besides, the shipwreck has green colors that match my green Betta perfectly, and my CT Betta is constantly resting on his cave. It may be best that I transfer something familiar to their new tank.

I am also having second thoughts about the filter. I keep reading about torn fins and poor filtration in divided tanks. I don't want either.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

Looking good but I also think they may need some more objects in there. Maybe some live plants like water wysteria or amazon swords? I haven't killed mine yet so they must be easy to care for plants. I like the water wysteria because it can float and the roots grown downward, making it look all jungle like .

I have a 10 gallon divided 3 ways but I do not have a filter. I use a gravel syphon which i dont think actually cleans the gravel but its great for sucking the water out of a 10 gallon. Makes water changes a breeze.

Here is a pic of mine. I want to get them each a taller plant or betta hammock so they have something to rest on near the surface, and maybe get them another hiding spot, like a cave or something. I kinda want my coffee mugs back LOL

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-07-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #10 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Looking good but I also think they may need some more objects in there. Maybe some live plants like water wysteria or amazon swords? I haven't killed mine yet so they must be easy to care for plants. I like the water wysteria because it can float and the roots grown downward, making it look all jungle like .

I have a 10 gallon divided 3 ways but I do not have a filter. I use a gravel syphon which i dont think actually cleans the gravel but its great for sucking the water out of a 10 gallon. Makes water changes a breeze.

Here is a pic of mine. I want to get them each a taller plant or betta hammock so they have something to rest on near the surface, and maybe get them another hiding spot, like a cave or something. I kinda want my coffee mugs back LOL
You should invest in the Betta log. My Bettas love it, and it also gives them a temporary resting spot if they want to get out of the light or just hide. There is a hole in the top for feeding or air.