Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #1 
Sams Bettas

White worms inside the tank.

I never dealt with this before and would like some input/advice... Today while doing a water change in the sorority tank I noticed little white specks on the inside of the glass. For a foot away it looks like tissue paper debris stuck to the glass. As I looked closer I saw that the white specks moved and crawls around. So I called a friend and explained what I was seeing, he said they're worms, I forget the name and that I should get a loach to eat them. He also told me how and why they're there.
So I guess what Im trying to get at is, has anyone else experienced these worms? What loach should I get? I'm considering changing my substrate to sand and getting rid of the gravel, not just for this reason. Whatever you have to say would be appreciated.
Thank you
Sams Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

They could be planaria or nematodes. Planaria sometimes shows up when you have food left over in the tank or plants that are browning.They will also show up if you're not siphoning the gravel well enough. I haven't had a loach so I can't offer any help there, but in my tank they usually go away after awhile when I up the water changes, trim plants and siphon gravel well....Planaria is pretty harmless.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

You might want to put this on the disease/emergency section of the thread. I wish I could say more, but I think you would get better responses on this in there than you would here. I hope you get your problem taken care of and nothing ill befalls your tank
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #4 
dragonflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
They could be planaria or nematodes. Planaria sometimes shows up when you have food left over in the tank or plants that are browning.They will also show up if you're not siphoning the gravel well enough. I haven't had a loach so I can't offer any help there, but in my tank they usually go away after awhile when I up the water changes, trim plants and siphon gravel well....Planaria is pretty harmless.
Littlebitty is correct, IMO. I've had planaria in a couple of my tanks when they were fairly new, and increasing maintenance solved the problem. Your fish might end up snacking on them too at time.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

Also, how big is your tank? I don't the various types, I'm looking that up right now, but the one type I've come across thus far grows to 12" so yeah x.x Would you have room for something like that or do you know if there are smaller varieties that can fit in your tank and not up the anty with ammonia levels and such? Not to mention how well, or "well," your girls or the loach might react. I'm not saying it work work, especially since I'm a newb when it comes to community tanks, but I think keeping these factors in mind with the situation you should definitely do your research before adding one to the tank.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #6 
Sams Bettas

The Planaria sounds about right. My friend is the kind of guy who naturally talks super fast and has the talent of blending his words! I usually siphon the tank every 7 to 8 days depending on what Im doing, and I always try to suck up the gravel the best I can. I admit lately I've been swamped due to the dogs, and for 2 water changes I haven't siphons the bottom. So Im guessing that that is why I'am experincing this right now. Lesson learned lol.
Right now, if I was to get a loach, it doesn't matter on the size as I will be upgrading my tank in a few weeks to a 90 gallon set up. Draug, I hope you are talking about loachs getting up to 12" and not the worms!! OMG that would really really suck because I'd be creeped out..
Im going to read up on loaches before I consider getting one.
Also... I really don't like the gravel that Im using. Im thinking about switching to a sand or some other type of really fine substrate.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Sand is really nice. Easy to clean. There's no need to plunge the siphon into it..you just hoover it above the sand a few inches and anything on top gets cleaned off.You can use a turkey baster in between water changes to get off any debris sitting on top of the sand.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #8 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sams Bettas View Post
The Planaria sounds about right. My friend is the kind of guy who naturally talks super fast and has the talent of blending his words! I usually siphon the tank every 7 to 8 days depending on what Im doing, and I always try to suck up the gravel the best I can. I admit lately I've been swamped due to the dogs, and for 2 water changes I haven't siphons the bottom. So Im guessing that that is why I'am experincing this right now. Lesson learned lol.
Right now, if I was to get a loach, it doesn't matter on the size as I will be upgrading my tank in a few weeks to a 90 gallon set up. Draug, I hope you are talking about loachs getting up to 12" and not the worms!! OMG that would really really suck because I'd be creeped out..
Im going to read up on loaches before I consider getting one.
Also... I really don't like the gravel that Im using. Im thinking about switching to a sand or some other type of really fine substrate.
Ah, okay, I'm glad your upgrading ^.^ Yes, I was talking abuot one type of loach that reaches up to 12" xD That would be monstorous if I worm could get that big, and I'm sure the members on here would've freaked out and said to get rid of them ASAP if that were the case, lol
Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #9 
Sams Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Sand is really nice. Easy to clean. There's no need to plunge the siphon into it..you just hoover it above the sand a few inches and anything on top gets cleaned off.You can use a turkey baster in between water changes to get off any debris sitting on top of the sand.
You are a geniuses! lol
Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #10 
Sams Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
Ah, okay, I'm glad your upgrading ^.^ Yes, I was talking abuot one type of loach that reaches up to 12" xD That would be monstorous if I worm could get that big, and I'm sure the members on here would've freaked out and said to get rid of them ASAP if that were the case, lol
Yeah if a worm got that big, Im sorry girls, but yalls gots ta go!! lol. I figure every 2 days I'll do a 50/50 water change and see how that goes in the mean time til I can get new sand and figure out which loach would be best.
Littlebittyfish- thats great to hear about the sand. At first when I put my tank together I thought I really liked the look of the black gravel, but then after seeing others who have black sand, it looks more realistic and I like that. Plus for the females who sleep at the bottom, Im sure they'll be more "comfy" on sand and not hard rocks.