Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #1 
OddballFishCoveter

Gill deformity? Or something more serious?

My sister got a CT betta the other day at a different Pet Supplies Plus than we usually go to. I was there with her so I checked him to make sure he didn't look sick or anything, but somehow I missed something that was quite odd about him. After getting him acclimated into his cozy 3 gallon, I was observing his timid hiding and noticed his right gill was... strange. The outside part of his gill seems to be elongated and the inner gill I think may be swollen, but I didn't get a very good look so it very well might not be swollen either. I have pictures, but they didn't come out very good. Any thoughts if maybe he was born with this, or is it onset by some illness?
Attached Images

OddballFishCoveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #2 
OddballFishCoveter

Hopefully to clear the pictures up, I've circled his strange gill in red:
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #3 
BlakbirdxGyarados

It's hard to tell from the pictures (maybe try and take a picture using flash, and not be so close to the tank?)

It could be a major deformity. I recall seeing a fish like that at work. I almost brought him home, but I got someone else instead.... He was a very active and healthy looking guy besides his gills being constantly out much like how it appears here. His gills didn't look red, swollen, or anything. It was just a blatant deformity.

I'm no expert on diseases or anything, though. A better picture would help best if you get one,. and more opinions are needed here.

Are his gills red? Not the gill flaps (the part that covers his actual gill), but the gills themselves. I'm not sure if ammonia poisoning could do this, but perhaps they are swollen from that?
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #4 
OddballFishCoveter

I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow after school then, and try to get a closer look. I don't think his gills were red or swollen, but I could be wrong, as I've said.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #5 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Right... keep us posted.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #6 
OddballFishCoveter

I managed to take a small clip of him, though it's so dark in the corner his tank is in I had to put him momentarily in a betta cup so he could be under better lighting. He's been very active, and it doesn't seem like he is in pain, but I can't really be sure of myself.

Oops, posted too soon youtube is still processing the video. Will post again when it's ready.

Last edited by OddballFishCoveter; 09-07-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #7 
OddballFishCoveter

I'm sorry it's still hard to see. D: I wish I had better quality cameras/camcorders... perhaps I'll try a different one and see if one can take clearer pictures.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B59L-z8EZ_s"]Blackbeard's Deformed Gill - YouTube[/ame]
Old 09-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #8 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I'm not sure embedding is possible... If it is, I'd like to know how to do it, as well.
Most users just copy-paste the link, as it's automatically made so you can just click on it.

Edit (about that gill...):

... That's a little creepy how he breathes with it. Creepy, in that it's still very easy to see how he breathes, even if the video's a bit blurry.

He does seem very active. It's most likely just a gill deformity.
May I suggest you PM OldFishLady to see her input? Just to be sure. Most users PM her for illnesses, but she'd know more on this than I do.... And I'm not sure who else to ask, honestly.

In any case, as active as he is, I wouldn't worry about it. He's a gorgous betta otherwise, might I add.

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 09-07-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #9 
newfiedragon

I had a CT that had what looked like something similar when I first got him. His gill cover was sticking way out, and you could see inside. It went away after a while. I can't say that that's what'll happen with your little guy, but with mine, I looked one day and it was gone.

Just make sure there's nothing in the tank that could poke inside his gill and do damage, like sharp edges on plants or decorations.
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #10 
OddballFishCoveter

I shall PM OldFishLady, as you said, to make sure and get another opinion. He's been eating heartily (unlike my HM betta Ifrit... who's still spitting out half-pellets at times, that silly boy), though he is also timid and likes to hide behind his filter.

I'll also keep a look-out to see if any of his tank decor could potentially cause his gill extended harm.