Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #11 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
Oh also be careful of the magnetic strips(like at store exits) and such. I was told(not sure if it is true or not) that the magnetic can give fish concussions. I practice better safe than sorry on that. I am not sure if it does or not but I find it best to be safe.
Never heard of that either... though I think I can understand that, if it is true. I'll research that thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Mind if I ask why this certain Betta? Would it be easier to just keep him, and buy a new one for you fiance while in Cali?
It'd help me downsize as far as my tanks go here at home. I'm going into the US Air Force on January 2nd. I don't want to bother my granparents about it more (who will be caring for my fish and turtle while I'm gone), and to lessen the load on them and my conscience(sp?), I'm hoping to give one of the males to my fiance.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #12 
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
Thanks Mistress. That really helps a lot.

I didn't think about the whole "can't bring this animal here" deal. Mostly because I didn't think it'd apply to fish, much less the fighters. I suppose it's possible, but I'll check anyway.

As much as I've travelled in this year alone, I doubt I'd get stopped by customs. But then again... I've also never travelled to any state further west than Illinois. (Or is Mississippi further west?... In any case...)
The laws banning animals are often to protect the environment, so it'd apply if the fish could be harmful if released (many people do this. :()

However, since there is a transhipper in Cali, they aren't entirely forbidden. I don't know of any laws against them.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #13 
BlakbirdxGyarados

About the laws banning certain animals:
Yeah, it's kind of like I can never release my Midland-Western Painted turtle around here because he's not native to FL. Not that I'd ever in my life want to release him :P
In any case, I'll check just to be sure.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #14 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
Thanks Mistress. That really helps a lot.

I didn't think about the whole "can't bring this animal here" deal. Mostly because I didn't think it'd apply to fish, much less the fighters. I suppose it's possible, but I'll check anyway.

As much as I've travelled in this year alone, I doubt I'd get stopped by customs. But then again... I've also never travelled to any state further west than Illinois. (Or is Mississippi further west?... In any case...)
^_^ the only reason i thought about it was because 2 weekends ago i was in a orange county (not la county) .. and when i was buying my goldfish .. they made me sign this form that basically said i will not bring this animal out side of state lines and i will not introduce it to natural environments because it could cause problems in the natural ecosystem .. and that this is a domesticated animal and can not be released into the wild ..

it was the first time i encountered such regulations in regards to fish friends .. but it's always better safe then sorrie =D
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #15 
Myates

One thing to remember.. you plan on buying water when you get through the check point.. but won't the water be cold? Since normally you buy it from a machine or a food place and it will be refridgerated. I'd bring an empty container stuffed in your carry on bag, either go in the bathroom or ask one of the food places in the food court to use the sink to put water in the lidded container, then use your conditioner. Plus, trying to get a fish through the little hole on top of a plastic water bottle may not be that easy...
Just my thoughts.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #16 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
^_^ the only reason i thought about it was because 2 weekends ago i was in a orange county (not la county) .. and when i was buying my goldfish .. they made me sign this form that basically said i will not bring this animal out side of state lines and i will not introduce it to natural environments because it could cause problems in the natural ecosystem .. and that this is a domesticated animal and can not be released into the wild ..

it was the first time i encountered such regulations in regards to fish friends .. but it's always better safe then sorrie =D
... And I thought goldfish were the most common fish-pets (aside from betta fish).... But I have heard of people releasing their goldfish... Which yeah, doesn't make people happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
One thing to remember.. you plan on buying water when you get through the check point.. but won't the water be cold? Since normally you buy it from a machine or a food place and it will be refridgerated. I'd bring an empty container stuffed in your carry on bag, either go in the bathroom or ask one of the food places in the food court to use the sink to put water in the lidded container, then use your conditioner. Plus, trying to get a fish through the little hole on top of a plastic water bottle may not be that easy...
Just my thoughts.
I did bring a fish in a water bottle before. Granted, she's a female and they let me keep her in her water... and she was in checked baggage.

Yes, the water will be cold, but I planned to ask for any they hadn't refrigerated yet. They usually keep those in the room just by the 'fridge.... But for some reason I never thought of what you just suggested. I'd like to blame the insomnia I get when I'm on this site (usually at 2 am), but it's really me just not thinking. The bathrooms are located much closer, and yeah, since I do have the conditioner... :P I'll just do that.... As long as I can take him on the plane, of course.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #17 
ForbiddenSecrets

I still think it might be best to ship him. even priority since it gets to these areas on the better side of the expected dates. any way you choose though good luck c:
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #18 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Thanks.
Honesly I'm caught between shipping and flying him. If I can fly with him, that'd be a favorite option of mine, as opposed to shipping. If I can't fly with him... he'll have to fly on his own. Though I imagine James would feel like he got the wrong piece of mail... he can't imagine people shipping live anything, much less fish. :P
Though he doesn't specifically live in Los Angeles, it's the closest airport to him. I wonder about weather, and it seems to be pretty unpredictable these days.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #19 
Osiris355

what about the water conditiner? how will you get that through the security? its a chemical so i dont thing they would. fyi i gazed through it cuz i woke up from a nap (long day) sorry if i mentioned something already mentioned.
Osiris355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #20 
ForbiddenSecrets

Well where I am at the moment [30 minutes off of LAX] its annoyingly hot [92 degrees in the cooling down hours] and its going to be warm until mid November. Cali weather isn't so much a problem being cold as the chance that it might be too hot shipping in the summer actually. Where I actually live when not at my fiances house its 110 degrees in the summer... and it's only 1 hour off of LAX lol. I'm assuming thats the airport your landing in?
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote