Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #1 
atteb

what do I do

Oh boy I am in a bind. Thought I would try breeding some bettas. Seven males later and 3 females to boot I really don't know if I want to do this. Talk about "IMPULSE BUYING" I tell ya, if I go in a store and a betta catches my eye he somes home with me. Don't know if this is good or not as they don't have very good lives in the pet stores but they do with us.

It just seems so much work to go through it all, trying to feed the young and all I just don't know. I have the tank setup and ready to go but have not put a male in there yet as I am having second thoughts about this all.

Bettas are my favorite of the tropical fish and I alway have a couple males to enjoy. Been keeping them for several years now and just love them.

Has anyone else gone through this where they thought they would want to breed then decide not to or is just me?....
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #2 
Sakura8

I can't speak from personal experience as I haven't bred any bettas yet. But I just want to say it's okay to have second thoughts. It's definitely better for you and the bettas to decide not to breed than to breed them and then be overwhelmed. I know from reading the spawn logs of others that it is a time-consuming thing, this betta breeding. It's rewarding but so is just enjoying the adult bettas.

You need to do what you feel is best but I personally feel if you're having doubts, then wait on it for a while. Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #3 
Myates

Definately wait and do as much research as possible. You may have the tank for the spawn to happen, but what about in a month or two when you need to seperate each of the hundred+ into their own tanks prior to finding buyers? Not to mention you will need a month or more to cultivate the fry food.
So any misgivings you have, is a sign to just keep researching until you are very sure of yourself.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #4 
fishy friend2

I thought I would breed them for like 2 hours then thought about it and realized I don't have what the fry would need to keep them happy

Last edited by fishy friend2; 09-07-2011 at 08:55 AM.
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #5 
Stardancer

I agree that you should wait a while if you're not sure. Stalk the betta breeding forum for a while, they've got stories (good and bad) and all kinds of experience.
Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #6 
atteb

I went through this thought before and have the same outcome. I am not going to try breeding, I have been keeping bettas for quite a few years now and just going to keep on this way. I love having them, their sheer beauty is always so nice. Plus you always have room for another especially when you go out of town to some of these big stores and find something really rare there.

My 7 boys and 2 girls have a good home with me and are quite spoiled.

Plus my husband and I travel some and its just not fair to but looking after some baby bettas on the shoulders on our son, he is great with the fish and has been for many years but its just not fair.

So just keeping them is good enough for me. But I do have to add a HM to my collection oneday....
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #7 
MMAsac
Banned

breeding is not for everyone. My latest spawn has been crazy, I easily spend a couple hours a day working with the fish, from feeding, to VERY CAREFULLY cleaning the tank daily. And pulling any fish that are big enough to be seperated, along with culling any that arent quite right.
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #8 
Sakura8

I'm glad you've made a decision. And there's always another time in the future to breed if you decide it really is something you want to do.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Breeding can be very expensive and time consuming.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #10 
Banicks

I initially wanted to breed Bettas, after researching lightly, it's just a no for me.

I do have the time and patience for it all, but what concerns me is what to do with them all once they have grown up. Having to store and heat all the babies, then give or sell them away, only to know that 9 out of 10 people would keep them in less than ideal conditions such as a glass jar or something.

No thanks :( Couldn't come to bear and think about it.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote