betta fish

Old 11-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #201 
Sena Hansler

Lol!! I love that!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #202 
RoyalBlueDarling

Lol

So, Ptolemy starts jumping around and sort of barking at me every time he sees a tiny red ladle that I feed him with. And I was just sitting at my desk now, getting ready to crack open the books and start studying, and I took out my red exercise book and he started flipping around and barking when he saw it
RoyalBlueDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #203 
Mars788

He yawns too, but i'm sure that's common lol. Like, right after he flares he'll be like, "yaaaawn, whatever."
Mars788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:17 AM   #204 
TheCheese909

I have 8 bettas right now and they all have their own personality. I love coming home to see them. I won't tell you about all of them, just acouple :)

Psych (my avatar pic), a Halfmoon, loves when i walk up to his tank and put my finger up to it. He doesn't flare his gills but he fans out his fins for me and dances around. He comes up to the top of the tank when its time to eat and sticks his mouth outside the water and opens and closes it :) . He was my Valentines present to myself this year. lol I've had him the longest out of everyone I've got so far. He likes his dorsal fin being pet too, i think if bettas could purr he would.

Punkin, who is a Veiltail that's body is orange and his fins are purple and turquoise comes up and fans out his fins but doesn't dance. He'll chase your finger around the tank on the surface of the water and will even jump up out of the water if you just hover your finger above it. I got him at PetCo, when I picked up his cup he stared at me and kinda tilted his head like a puppy so i HAD to take him home lol. He's funny because he hates it when i paint my nails, he puffs up his gills and tries to bite my fingers through the side of the tank.

I just recently got another Halfmoon whom I've named Onyx. He was an accidental find at PetCo. I was looking at the babies that they now sell and saw something black staring at me and I looked up at him and he was showing me how pretty he was with his fins all flared out. So I took him home with me. He's a little guy, still young, but I've put him in a 2.5 BettaBow. I was putting a big rock in his tank after I had him already in (i forgot about it) and he was just swimming near by watching. I have a few others who would either try and attack you or run away and hide, but he was watching and when I pulled my arm out he checked the rock out and bit it a few times. lol. Eventually he gave up and just sat on it. He LOVES playing in the filter outflow, he swims against the current till he reaches the top then lets it push him back down and does it all over again. Psych loves doing this too, I think its so cute. He comes over to see me and we just stare at eachother, lol, he's kinda afraid of my finger so we just stare xD .
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #205 
OrvillesSlave

Orville is such a little entertainer. Especially distracts me from my college assignments. He is always hungry and at least twice a day he will swim up and down up and down the side of the tank that faces me on my bed. Acting like he is just starving...even though I fed him earlier.

He also likes to snuggle up to the moss ball and rest there a bit. If I put anything new next to his tank he has to patrol it for at least a half an hour. He'll flare at it. Swim away and then coming darting back like, "Don't think I didn't see you move...not on my watch pencil." :-p

Last edited by OrvillesSlave; 12-01-2011 at 09:16 PM.
OrvillesSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 AM   #206 
valleyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalBlueDarling View Post
So, Ptolemy starts jumping around and sort of barking at me every time he sees a tiny red ladle that I feed him with. And I was just sitting at my desk now, getting ready to crack open the books and start studying, and I took out my red exercise book and he started flipping around and barking when he saw it
I don't know what it is but my betta hates anything red.
valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #207 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Recently I bred in a fairly bare 13g tank 1/3 filled. Lots of plants in one corner only and a cover on top of the opposite end.

Well they spawned under the covered area, as expected. The male is a large sluggish guy and doesn't do much - he doesn't even bother to make a nest. The female was doing all the work, picking up the eggs. The male only readjust their position, stacking them up into one pile/group.

Anyway, after a few embraces, the female decides she wants more cover for the eggs so she moves them to the plants which were at the opposite end. The male eventually realizes what she's doing and wants the eggs back at his end. So he takes them and moves them to his end. Eventually they were moving eggs back and forth.

When ever they met at her end, she would flare at him - like saying; "Don't touch my eggs". But since he is twice her size, she can't do much. He simply pushes her aside and moves the eggs. Then she figures out the only way to beat him is to embrace him. lol. So every time they meat at her end, she embraces him and he forgets (for a moment) about the eggs. He immediately swims back to his end after the embrace. Until he realizes that the eggs were at the opposite side of the tank and swims there to get them.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #208 
ZackyBear

For some reason, Pearl is far more active than Bug. O_o Whenever I come into the kitchen to do something, he'll watch me, and if I look over at him he'll flare and wiggle back and forth. When I feed him he gets so excited! I lift the cover of his temp. tank and he about jumps out of the water when he sees the container I keep food in.

Bug....is strange. He is way more laid back (unless it's food time, hehe) but the cutest thing I've seen him do is chase one of the kid's fingers. She'll show him her finger and spin it around the tank and he'll follow until he gets bored.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #209 
Mars788

I'm not sure if this is cute, normal, or even healthy, but lately he's been charging at his thermometer! O_O
Mars788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #210 
LittleBettas

I have 15 bettas currently in my apartment....

Of them only ONE tolerates my pitbull (she likes to watch them swim)

So, I moved ***g (who tolerates her stares) to a lower level on my shelf

Now when ever Chai (my pitbull) goes toward his tank, Flaggcomes swimming over, no mater where he was, and stares a her, sometimes he will "flirt" and wiggle around in front of her nose :P
LOL
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote