Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #1 
Yaoilover12397

Exclamation Glofish help?!

So I woke up this morning to see one of my orange Glofish was swimming at the top and not with the other fish, he had lost some of his color and his tail looked like it had been knawed on kinda. So I removed him with tank water and added him and some more tank water into a glass vase. I'm still new to fish so im not quite sure what to do to help heal him. Any ideas?
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Are your glofish living with a betta? If so it is possible he got his fins nipped and is stressed out..I would float him in the main tank and add some premixed aquarium salt to his container..1 tsp per gallon.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #3 
fishy friend2

I just read the sig and it looks like it lives with a betta
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #4 
Myates

Could of been either the betta or the mollies, or possibly the other glofish. His color is washed due to the stress most likely. Keep him in QT to see if he perks up, change the water 100% daily (or take out as much water as you can, leaving just enough on the bottom to swim then fill back up), and I wouldn't keep him in the salt treatment for too many days, as they aren't like mollies who prefer brackish water. The salt right now is more for a preventative. I'd probably suggest stress coat over salt since he isn't wounded. Stress coat will keep him relaxed, help his fin regrow (sometimes salt will hamper that), and help keep his slime coat healthy in case he got bumped too many times. Keep him for a couple of days at the most and see if he regains any energy.
If he is swimming and eating fine, then place him back in his tank, danios are healthier with 5+ in a group so being alone may also have him a lil stressed.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #5 
fishy friend2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Could of been either the betta or the mollies, or possibly the other glofish. His color is washed due to the stress most likely. Keep him in QT to see if he perks up, change the water 100% daily (or take out as much water as you can, leaving just enough on the bottom to swim then fill back up), and I wouldn't keep him in the salt treatment for too many days, as they aren't like mollies who prefer brackish water. The salt right now is more for a preventative. I'd probably suggest stress coat over salt since he isn't wounded. Stress coat will keep him relaxed, help his fin regrow (sometimes salt will hamper that), and help keep his slime coat healthy in case he got bumped too many times. Keep him for a couple of days at the most and see if he regains any energy.
If he is swimming and eating fine, then place him back in his tank, danios are healthier with 5+ in a group so being alone may also have him a lil stressed.
Take this advice it is good
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

aquarium salt isn't used to make brackish water. Marine salt is used to create brackish water.Aquarium salt adds electrolytes and helps with slime coating when a fish is ill or injured. I agree though,aquarium salt treatments shouldn't go longer than 7-10 days.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #7 
Myates

True about brackish, that is my bad. Mollies do prefer some salt in their tank. Either way, danios aren't into it as much and other then just a nipped fin, I don't see how the salt will benefit differently then the stress coat. Either is fine I believe to use for now in QT.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #8 
Yaoilover12397

Well hes in a little glass tank and i've got him in salt. Tommorow when i get home from school I'll do a 100% Water change and keep up AQ salt for another 2-5 days since i started it today. Is there anything else i can do and buy to help? He's perked up and swiming around, but his color is still less bright.
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #9 
Myates

Nothing much else you can do. Maybe tomorrow put in less salt and slowly get him back to non salted water until done with it. Or possibly do 50% change tomorrow and the next til all the salt is gone (not adding any in). Then do a regular water change in his home tank, add in stress coat and put him back in. Most likely he was just in shock when you found him. As long as he has no obvious injuries outside of a nipped tail, he should be fine and able to go back home in a day or two.

As far as the color.. glofish are made by people.. they are zebra danios that are injected with some sort of jelly.. I've heard jellyfish gook of some sort. (sorry, haven't researched it) So I've heard that in time they do fade. But that was years ago when they first started doing it, unsure how it has changed within the last 15 years since I've had any interest in them.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #10 
Grundylady

Nowadays the glofish are gene spliced and the color is in their DNA. So it does not fade over time.

I agree with the steps outlined above for taking care of him. Also with the recommendation of at least 5 in a tank. When I only had three one was always getting beat on, and nipped. When the tank was fully cycled and stabilized I added two more and now everybody gets nipped now and then, instead of just the little one. (Even Buford the big blue bully gets nipped by the little green one.)
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glofish