Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #1 
fishy friend2

Exclamation Tail biting!!!

How do I stop show-off one of my bettas how do I stop it should I put more hiding spaces in his tank

Last edited by fishy friend2; 09-07-2011 at 08:51 AM.
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #2 
Myates

Show off? Or tail biting? Unsure what it is you're asking exactly. Show off at each other in a divided tank?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #3 
fishy friend2

No show off is the name of one of my bettas and he is tail biting himself and how do I stop it
Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #4 
Myates

Ohhh gotcha, sorry! lol

The reasons Bettas bite their own fins are unknown. Some say it’s stress, others say boredom and still others think it could be hunger, pent up aggression or even hereditary. The truth is, we just don’t know. There are a few things you can do to help him along. First, continue to keep your water very clean to avoid infection. Some Betta keepers have successfully broken the habit by changing the aquarium decor around or by adding more silk or live plants. Moving the tank to a new location or the fish to a new tank may help. Adjusting the light levels may be useful too reduce reflections which may fuel your Bettas aggression. If your aquarium is large enough, you may find adding a few peaceful community fish will keep your Betta occupied.
That is a bad habit and sometimes hard to break. I would try redecorating, moving around his plants and such every water change. As well as daily exercises such as a few mins in front of a mirror a cpl times a day. Poke a blood worm with a tooth pick and have him chase it around, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #5 
fishy friend2

Thanks for the help myates
Old 09-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #6 
Luimeril

when my delta, Dante, started tail biting, i freaked out. i knew how to heal the fins, but i hated seeing him destroy his beautiful finnage! i never stopped it totally, but i curbed it by adding more plants to his tank, and changing around where everything was every time i changes his water.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #7 
fishy friend2

Okay I hope this will help him