Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #1 
zachrus

new fish, lethargic and not eating

hello again everyone,

i posted a while back asking why my first betta fish (Oscar) wasnt moving or eating in his new 5 gallon tank. hes back in the older tank i had him in and he couldnt be happier.

So now i have a new betta fish, it is his 3rd day in the 5 gallon tank. he doesnt seem to want to eat or swim around much. he either stays inside the cave set up in there or he rests on a leaf of a plant. he stays there for so long he almost seems dead. my only guess is that he was the oldest one in the store, he was the biggest fish out of all them. his fins looked kind of tattered when we first got him. I also have a baffled filter and a heater that stays in 76-80 degrees. what could possibly be wrong?
zachrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #2 
zachrus

another thing to point out is that there is a spot on his back fin where it curls in almost looking like a lump on the back of his fin. and theres another one on his top fin. what could those be?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear Oscar is doing well....

In the 5gal filtered heated tank-was it running empty after you removed Oscar-if so for how long and did you make a water change before you added the new Betta...... or did you set it up again-everything fresh......

How did you acclimate the new Betta to the new tank/water

Its not uncommon for a new Betta to go off food and be somewhat inactive for the first week-10 days.....especially when going from a small temporary container to a larger space with water movement

Since this is day 3-I would make a 50% water only change with like temp dechlorinated water and turn off the light, hold food for 24h...

What is the water temp right now or what the thermometer reads.....

Can you post of pic so we can see the lumps/bumps you are talking about.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #4 
zachrus

i kept the water in there and did 50% water changes every now and then for a bout a week and a half before i put him in. i also had the filter on and going before i put him in as well.

i acclimated him for a bout 20 minutes slowly replacing the water from the tank into his cup

the water temp right now is about 80

heres a picture the lump is on his top fin and the curl in his fin is on his bottom fin.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I would just watch the lump areas for growth and/or changes for now....the curling may be from poor water quality at the pet shop and they need time to grow out...
I would make twice weekly water changes on the 5gal until the nitrogen cycle establishes...this may take 3-5 weeks.....

Does he have clamped fins.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #6 
zachrus

sorry i forgot to mention that but yes his fins are clamped. they have started spreading out more over the past couple of days. he still doesnt swim around much and has not eaten anything yet. only time will tell