Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #1 
Sakura8

General Cure Dosing Question

I think a monkey wrote the dosing instructions for this. Help, I need clarification. I have my guy in a 1.75g tank that is filled with 1 gallon (it's a QT tank). The dosage for General Cure says to leave for 48 hours then add 2nd dose. Leave for 48 hours and then perform a 25% water change and turn filter back on.

Question: does this mean I add the 2nd dose directly to the 1st dose so there are like 2 doses in there? Or do I perform a water change first? I know at the end of the dosing period, I will be doing a complete water change because there is no filter but I'm not sure about the period between the 1st and 2nd doses.

Question: Or, because it's only 1 gallon of water, do I ignore these instructions completely and just do daily water changes and redose the medication for 5 days straight?

My mind is spinning. @_@ Help is appreciated.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Is this the stuff with malachite green? If so I left it in for 2 days, did a 100% change and then added in another dose.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Nope. It has uhm, metronidazole and praziquantel. I swear it makes me want to start my own fish medication company with products dosed for small tanks.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

I think jungle's parasite fizzy tabs has metrodozowhatever in it but stupid thing is for a 10 gallon
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Yeah. All of them are, which really sucks. Hasn't anyone at these companies ever heard of small hospital tanks??
Old 09-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #6 
guardianfyre

If you follow the instructions on the label, you are NOT supposed to do a water change inbetween the 1st and 2nd doses. However, because you have such a small tank, I'd probably err on the side of caution and perform a water change. Ammonia is a big factor here and could make your fish sicker than the disease/parasite you're trying to get rid of. Because of the water change, though, it may take longer for the medicine to work properly.

In the fish industry, 10 gallon tanks are the most common tanks used for quarantine/as home fish tanks. That's why they meds are dosed for 10 gallon tanks. It may not be fair to betta keepers, but the companies are aiming for mass market.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Okay, cool. Thanks for the info guardianfyre.