Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

What is going on?? Coincidence??

Two males, probably both from the same supplier. Admiral was a rescue, underweight, sickly. Dusk was a healthy male, but weak internally.

Dusk died yesterday in the 10 gallon. He had ich (not the killer I believe) so did simple water change, everything proper, water temperature perfect... He died. Today Admiral was fine when I left today, came back and he is dead. Water temperature was good, levels were fine...

Now I have a third male - Crayola Colors. He is from Dusk's batch but seems a bit more hardy. Why are my males dying one by one without a visible sign??? I'm going to clean the ich tank with hot water and all that, change cartidge, and add filter media from my healthy tank. I have two new females (now I worry for them as they are from Admiral's batch) I don't want to lose my three possible bettas!!

What's happening? :(

Levels: great
Air: great
Water quality: great
Temperature: 26 degrees celcius
Need any info just ask... Just please help :( this has never happened before.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #2 
Luimeril

they could be ill from the start, and not something you're doing wrong. that happens sometimes, they'll get ill stock...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #3 
Myates

Did you do the treatment for ich? Proper meds or AQ salt? I wish I could help, but there is so little to go on.. did they look/act differently leading up to their deaths? Other then the underweight.. were they eating fine? Any ammonia spikes?
Otherwise, what Luineril said could just be the sad truth =(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

;( ammonia was fine, leading to their death they were fine. I did the water change and put minimum (and I mean minimum of minimum) of aq salt for Dusk, and he was fine with it. Other than the ich he ate, swam, breathed fine. Admiral I had to make eat basically because he was a rescue... Paper thin. Finally got him eating, he was sooo much more active and responsive... Today he was fine just didnt want to eat then I come back and HE is dead... No ammonia burns, no physical problems on either (admiral looked bad anyhow, but this is crazy... 2 bettas in 2 days???!!!!)
Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #5 
Myates

Minimum 1tsp per gal, 100% daily water changes (adding in new salt each time) for 10-14 days for ich. Up to 3tsp/gal depending on severity. But as mentioned above by Luim, could also of been sick prior to you getting them, and possibly the ich lowered his immune even further

=( So sorry for your loss
Old 09-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

The one I have "aquarium salt for freshwater fish" says 1tsp for 5 gallons. I've only used maybe 6 crystals (dissolved as told to) which doesn't even make 1/4.

Yeah the ich probably did lower his immune :( and Admiral - well didn't expect him to live, and I tried real hard - got his weigh up a little and he ate a bit better.... But guess he was just unable....
Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #7 
Myates

I don't know what brand you are using, I've only known and been told the 1 per 1 ratio. But you tried, and that matters. You're doing good, and you're giving them a good home. Just sadly, sometimes there isn't much anyone can do when it's their time to go =(
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Well what if his sibling Crayola has the same problem? he isn't as weak, no, but still...
Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #9 
youlovegnats

Having "great" as parameters isn't exactly...well, descriptive enough to solve your problem.
If you could actually fill out the sticky, that might be more helpful.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #10 
cajunamy
Banned

Another thing, for ich, you should raise your temperature. Giving us the actual levels of your parameters would help us help you. Also, air really doesn't have much to do with it .. unless your house has poison in the air or something. How often are you feeding, what is your normal water change schedule and what were they living in.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote