Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #31 
ForbiddenSecrets

So some eggs look different then the others - how can I really tell what eggs are good and what aren't? I'm assuming he'll eat the bad ones but at the same time... he might just be a dummy.

So after scouring the Internet with no help I'm just going to ask here. What /should/ the eggs look like. I think I'm just being paranoid though ^^;;

Last edited by ForbiddenSecrets; 09-08-2011 at 01:37 PM.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #32 
cajunamy
Banned

Honestly I've never served egg yolk so I don't know how to tell you exactly how to do it. From reading, I've read a bit in a squirt bottle with some water, and then you squirt the yolk/water mix into the tank.

How long has it been since the eggs were in the nest? You have some time if you can pay someone express shipping for some microworms. I could help you there if you'd like - you'd just need to pay for the shiping of it.

Once babies hatch, leave dad in until they are free swimming at least. I leave him in about a week after hatching to help 'take care' of the deformities/weak ones. You'll get a smaller but stronger spawn this way (so I've heard from a reputable breeder)

Once they hatch, you have about 3 days to come up with food - they will not eat until about day 3 b/c they still are feeding off their yolk sac.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #33 
ForbiddenSecrets

I'm not entirely sure how long they have been in the nest since I wasn't home. Which is also what is bothering me. I was away for a school thing Monday-Wed night so no clue but my parents think it was yesterday that it happened because they swear she was on her side The day before.

How much would the shipping be?

So far I have eggs prepared and some last resort Hikari first bites just in case. I have a 10 gallon running for him to be moved to later and a dry 10 gallon waiting in case I need it for anything. I'm getting some jars tomorrow.

So what are the eggs supposed to look like in the nest? I didn't get any good information off of the net.

Also smeesh I blame your fishes genetics lol. I had her in that tank for several days with no indication that she could get over at all then bam I have eggs and she couldn't figure out how to get herself back onto her own side. At least she was barely injured from the whole ordeal being as young as she is. She's just as active as ever back in a 3 gal and she's getting moved to a perm 10 gal later.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #34 
Creat

I think most people have covered everything gravel shouldnt be a problem but you still need to keep cleaning it once a week after the fry are about 2 weeks old, just put panty hose over the regular gravel siphon so you dont worry about sucking them up. I would totally hit someone up for microworms their super easy to care for and feed also I have had luck with Hikari First Bites. Cajun gave you some good info along with everyone else. But I have some questions first do you have a filter in the tank? If it has an intake you can cover with pantyhose or a sponge go ahead, the filter will help keep the water clean but just make sure babies cant get sucked up. If its to hard to cover the intake just remove the filter. Also do you have any live plants in your tank? Their helpful cause they have little critters the fry can eat. And eggs should be whiteish sometimes yellowish and look solid in color up until when they hatch then they are kinda clear but you can see a little black dot where their eye should be.

Edit: Oh and about the extra tank after about 4 weeks or so depending on the fry you could move them to the other ten gallon and leave that bare bottom but more on that later if you decide to keep them

Last edited by Creat; 09-08-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #35 
ForbiddenSecrets

Thanks for the egg info c:

I have some pantyhose I can kill to cover my gravel vac to keep the ground clean. i do indeed have a filter but I'm afraid it might be rough on them. I'm going to see if I can sponge it somehow. Its currently in the tank its just... off. I unplugged it when I realized there were eggs in the tank.

The tank does indeed have live plants. Not as many as I would like for a tank that size but it was a work in progress when this happened.

Quick set up 3 gallon [fake plants] and the 29 gallon [live plants]

My boy at his post
Old 09-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #36 
Creat

The one thing I would do is remove the divider the fry will swim through it and daddy wont be able to go retrieve them. I would also remove the pot decoration but other then that and the gravel it looks fine :)
Some of the other real serious breeders can help me on this but is the water level fine to leave that high? The only reason breeders tend to leave the water level low is for the males sake. And to make is easier for the fry to find food in a smaller water volume.
You can honestly leave the filter off and it will be just fine. Because if its been off for to long if you turn it back on it will release dead organisms into the tank leading to a problem with ammonia spikes. So if its off I would just leave it off.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #37 
ForbiddenSecrets

That divider cant move. At all unfortunately its been silicone sealed into the tank. This was a very dedicated tank *laughs* The only way to the other side is if you can be ninja like my girl and fit through the slots that really seemed too small for her. They are 1/8 in. [Main reason I was trying to buy a boy she was sexed wrong but I still love her. Smeesh teenagers though lol]

I'll remove the pot at least. Maybe I can find a fine mesh store divider that I can slide in to try to keep the fry on one side.

Oh goodness there was no way I was turning that thing back on without cleaning it first but yeah I'd have to figure it out first if I wanted it back on. It's not exactly small.

I'd like to know if I should lower the water or not and how to go about it without hurting the nest. Or if I should wait until they are free swimming and then try to lower it carefully.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #38 
Creat

Oh they can make it through the divider :p She was very motivated he probably made a nice nest for her. If you do lower the water level wait till they are free swimming everyone has their own ideas about how long to leave the male in but lower it after you remove him whenever that may be for you. And definitely find someway to stop the fry from swimming through it until you can move them to another tank which will make it way more easier to care for them. Even a solid sheet of plastic will work or find someway to plug the holes. I highly suggest that when they become 3-5 weeks old you do move them depending on size. Here is a growth chart if you havent seen one yet http://www.bettatalk.com/fry_growth.htm to give you an idea of how small scale this is.

Last edited by Creat; 09-08-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #39 
ForbiddenSecrets

Ha ha that chart ever shows up right for my screen - good thing I always have a ruler handy.

Alright I'll be sure to wait at least until he is no longer in the tank. Man I'm so anxious for their birth now just staring at the tank is driving me crazy and at the same time I want them to wait a day so I can get things more... ready. Blah at least the tank size will lower the impact of hormones hopefully.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #40 
Creat

It will but like I said I would highly suggest moving them into the other ten gallon if you can later on the bare bottom and smaller size will help with making sure they find food and easier to survive and its the easiest to manage and keep clean without the gravel. Most food will sink and fall into the gravel and to make sure they all eat enough (you will be able to see their bellies fill up dont worry) you will have to do more larger water changes.