Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #51 
cajunamy
Banned

oh my goodness. this is exciting!!!! I hope some survive - I know that my first spawn I was sure shocked when I had 70+ survive!! I'll be watching this for sure!!

Oh yes I forgot about the tank temp - 82ish, and cover the top with saran wrap to keep in humidity. They don't develop the labyrinth fully until I want to say 3 weeks? And the warm humid air to breathe above will help keep them healthy (all after everything I've read)
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #52 
ForbiddenSecrets

I am not pleased with my boy. After all that I woke up today to him eating the eggs. D: I'm feeling... a strange mixture of loss, annoyance, and just disappointment. I really wanted his son to raise since I love him and well a few other friends wanted his offspring for sentimental reasons as well. D: [Popular little boy]

Now I'm at a crossroads. I bought a whole bunch of stuff for raising fry. All I needed was microworms. [Stupid BBS already bought] Do I scratch the whole thing do to time and just buy a male to fill the other side [girl gets moved to a 10 gallon to matter what] and try to return jars /ect or do I be frustrated and try to respawn. The girl is of good quality and he's an attractive fish but I don't know his lineage.

Despite it being a surprise I was really excited. I'm assuming since it was their first try they just... failed at it.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #53 
cajunamy
Banned

You say due to time ... what exactly does that mean?

My .02: If you have time in the next 2-3 months for daily water changes in a 10 gallon (spawning) tank; if you have a growout tank/container/tub of at least 20-30 gallons to move babies to after a month; if you have time when you need to star jarring after 2-3 months to clean possibly 20+ jars every other day/every day - then yes do it

If you can't afford a growout tank(or 2), don't have the time for the daily water changes after the first week or 2 after hatching, won't have time in a couple months or space for all the jars, then no, don't do it.

But me? I'm gonna want you to do it cause I think it would be exciting to see you breed my girlie ;) lol

OH and shipping overnight would be $35 for the wormies, but since you don't really need overnight now we could do priority for $15 - I'd want to mail it in a box so I can secure it better.

Also, are you sure he ate them all? It's possible they were all infertile, or he's only eating infertile ones - maybe since she's still kinda smallish they were no good?

Last edited by cajunamy; 09-09-2011 at 11:16 AM.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #54 
Creat

If he keeps up the nest their might be eggs still in it and maybe they hatched and are now fry ;) And they may have all gone bad or he just got stressed and ate them all. Some males are super easily stressed.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #55 
ForbiddenSecrets

If there is fry I cannot for the life of me find them. I think he just got bothered and ate them all or they went bad *le sigh*

You'd be surprised the things that are around my house. Like 4 empty 40 gallon containers in my garage haha. I do have the time to take care of it - though I think if I wait to re-breed until the start of December I'll have a lot more time for those delicate early first weeks as I'm out of session from December 10th until January 22. Or rather time the 2 week of life and all the water changes for when I'm out of school.

I also have plenty of space. The reason I was just trying to keep to one tank was just preference. I have a space for my 29 and then 4 other large tanks without them being in the way of anything just to start.

I'm pretty sure the girl is a delta and she was marbling so pretty. I'm sad my favorite fin pattern got nipped off ha ha. I was so sure they would spring some lovely fry.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #56 
Luimeril

ya never know. i've heard of people's spawns dieing, so they give up on the tank, then weeks later, find a little Fry, who somehow made it. :3 just cause you can't see them, doesn't mean they're not there. .3.
Luimeril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #57 
ForbiddenSecrets

Well I can't deny that I would be ecstatic if that happened. oh also by time I just meant that overall its easier to not breed. not that I can't do it
Old 09-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #58 
Luimeril

raising a single fry, or just a few, is alot easier than a full spawn. x: i raised Chappy from a month old fry, and it was a bit harder than raising a full-grown betta. the near-constant water changes were the hard part. x: as was feeding her. she ate crushed NLS Grow pellets the first few days i had her, but thanfully there was Java moss in there, and she ate that... infuso...... however you spell it. >3>
Luimeril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #59 
Creat

Bah I hate raising single fry I always manage to kill them DX
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #60 
ForbiddenSecrets

Just because I feel like showing her off... have bad phone camera shots of my girl.

Before the mating. I love the anal fin pattern here.

After the mating. Bottom and top fin took some damage but other then that she's unharmed.