Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #1 
ALS1104

Exclamation Water Conditioner Question

I have a question about Water Conditioner... i have 2 different kinds- Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus and Tetra Aqua Safe. when ive used the Betta Bowl Plus it gets a shiny gleam on the top of the water- almost looks like soap or a oil slick or something... the water is clean and clear and the fish have stayed healthy and happy but the gleam freaks me out. the shine stays even with 50% or 75% water changes. the little girl was moved into the 3gal with new plants and new decorations and was set up with the betta bowl plus and it has the oil slick... i moved the boys and all their plants and stuff into the 10 gal that was set up with the aqua safe and it doesnt have the shine on the water- its completely normal. i cleaned the tanks and everything in them really well with really hot water... i havent used soap on ANYTHING in or around the tanks. both tanks were cycled before adding the fish. new media in both tanks. i tested the water and everything seems normal. i havent ruled everything else out completely but im thinking that its the betta bowl water conditioner... has anyone else had this issue? im kinda freaking out...
ALS1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #2 
Fieldz

Just to remember that its recommended to wait 15 minutes before you put the fish back in the aquarium. Other than that, changing the water whenever you think its a bit dirty ( depends on the size and quantity of fish ) and you will be fine. Those Aqua Safe and all water cleaners are made for fish, so they are all good, even though some say Aqua Safe is better and more famous.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #3 
ALS1104

both tanks cycled all day before the fish were put back in. the tank that i used the aqua safe in is normal- no sheen. the tank where i put the betta bowl plus in has the sheen on the top of the water.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #4 
Larsa

I have that same problem with aquarium salt :( its looks aweful and bettas must hate it!!! I use the tetra bettasafe and im sure it helps make that oily-looking stuff. Even weeks after and doing water changes its still there.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #5 
ALS1104

heres a picture of it to try to show what im talking about.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #6 
ALS1104

anyone?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #7 
flowerslegacy

Hi ALS1104 - I don't use the Tetra products, but I googled BettaSafe. What I found is that it neutralizes harmful tap water chemicals, but it also provides a slime coating. Perhaps this is the "slick" you're seeing on the top of your tank? I know there are a lot of water conditioners on the market, but one preferred product for bettas is Prime by Seachem. The effects are immediate, so you don't have to wait 15 minutes before adding your fish. Plus, it detoxifies ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I happen to live in an area where ammonia is present in my tap, so I don't use standard water conditioners. Hope this helps!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

you can look at the water conditioner's ingredients and see if one has something extra that the other doesn't

or test it out with 2 cups of water .. one with aqueon betta bowl plus and one with tetra aqua safe .. with no fish .. and see if it still gives u the same results

i don't think it's the water conditioners .. most likely it's probably the protein that your betta is giving off .. and is settling on the top making it look oily .. some bettas make more of it some less .. i think of it like betta sweat/or betta bo ..

does it feel slimey when u touch it ? if it does then it's just betta slime coat settling on the surface
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #9 
ALS1104

thanks guys!

flowerslegacy- next time i will get the prime water conditioner!

mistress- im testing it out with the cups to see if it turns oily... i think it is but i cant tell yet so i have to just wait and see. it usually takes it acouple hours to make it really noticeable. its not oily or slimy to the touch but after a few days it will form a film on the top of the tank. even then i cant feel it between my fingers...
Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #10 
dragonflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post

i don't think it's the water conditioners .. most likely it's probably the protein that your betta is giving off .. and is settling on the top making it look oily .. some bettas make more of it some less .. i think of it like betta sweat/or betta bo ..
Protein film, likely from the foods. ;) Our bettas' food is high in protein. Surface agitation tends to keep it broken up.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote