Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #1 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Talking IgotabettaIgotabettaIgotabetta!!!

I got a betta today!!!

I went out yesterday with my sis, great aunt, and my mom's cousin, and we went by one of the LPS. Well, there has been this guy there since I started wanting a betta, which was, er, june-julyish. And to say the least, I've gotten more than a bit attached to the fella. He was there yesterday, full of spunk and flaring like no ones beeswax at the other fishes-even the nonbetta ones! I took a video of him on my sis' phone, talked to mom that night and she said okay to getting him!!!! And so today my Grandma took me to buy the things I needed immediately! (Ordering the rest from Amazon, it should be here any time next week!)

So now he is bobbing in his QT tank, and slowly getting the new water added to his bag. :3

Should room temperature be okay for him until the stuff from Amazon gets in? (The temp is 79 F-I know it gets lower at night so I'll have to talk to parents about seeing if we can raise the night temp.)

Pics to come!
HazelrahLayna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #2 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Watson pics!!
His first picture:

And his first good picture!:

His body is much more pale/creamy in real life-whether its because of the stress of living in a cup for a couple of months, or if its his real color I don't know.

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 09-08-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: I'm so excited I keep forgetting things. XD
Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

He'll probably get more color as he gets healthier and more settled in. 79 is a great temp for his tank to be at.

What kind of setup do you have planned for him? Like plants, tank size, filter, foods?

He's a pretty boy. He looks surprisingly well for being in a cup for so long already.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #4 
Larsa

awwes pretty cambodian crowntail :) he's pretty and I like how long his rays are!!!!
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #5 
missm83

CT bettas rule ! very handsome boy!
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #6 
HazelrahLayna7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
He'll probably get more color as he gets healthier and more settled in. 79 is a great temp for his tank to be at.

What kind of setup do you have planned for him? Like plants, tank size, filter, foods?

He's a pretty boy. He looks surprisingly well for being in a cup for so long already.
I know, I can't wait to see how he looks once he's used to everything! I JUST watched him take his first little swim out of the corner he had been hovering at in his QT tank! He's soooo cute.... <3

Once he's out of QT I have a ten gallon tank for him with rocks from a nearby creek that gave my thumbs blisters I cleaned them so much, two mugs for hidey holes (One is with him in his QT tank) , and a silk plant (Also in his QT tank). No live plants are planned, filter is going to be a Tom Aquarium Mini Internal, heater is going to be an Elite 50 watt. I'm also getting a Marina thermometer and airline tubing so that I can make a siphon, as well as API master test kit and Seachem prime.

Right now I'm using API Stress coat as water conditioner, New life spectrum betta pellets to give to him when he starts settling in, and AQ and Epsom salt just in case he needs them. (If anyone thinks he might, please say so, Watson's my first, and I've done a lot of research but I don't know everything. )

He is in pretty good shape, the LPS doesn't have a lot of bettas, or any fish, so maybe that means they got more care because of the smaller amount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
awwes pretty cambodian crowntail :) he's pretty and I like how long his rays are!!!!
Ahhhhh, a combodian, that's his coloring....Haha, I had to pull up the betta tails and colors thread to see what you were talking about! Haha...He is VERY pretty, I can't wait to see what he ends up looking like!

Quote:
CT bettas rule ! very handsome boy!
Haha, I had originally decided that I was going to do a VT, but Watson came along and smashed that idea! Thank you! I'll have to tell him lots of people think he's pretty!

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 09-08-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

He could turn out to be a straight red or a cambodian at this point since he hasn't been in good conditions until now.

As far as planting in the tank, you said you only have 1 plant? He might be happier with a lot more unless the river rocks take up a lot of space and the water is shallow in the 10 gal. Very good size choice though.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #8 
HazelrahLayna7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
He could turn out to be a straight red or a cambodian at this point since he hasn't been in good conditions until now.

As far as planting in the tank, you said you only have 1 plant? He might be happier with a lot more unless the river rocks take up a lot of space and the water is shallow in the 10 gal. Very good size choice though.
Haha, either way he'll be gorgeous. :} He keeps checking me out when I'm 'not looking' and he looks like he's thinking, "Now just who is this?" XD And he has the darkest eyes, its like looking at a pool of ink. :3

Another pic of him that shows more of his true color:

And yes, right now Watson just has one plant, but in another week or so I should have enough allowance to get him one or two more. One is definitely not enough for a ten gallon.
And thanks, I got lucky with it! I found it at this place that I volunteer at and donated a few dollars-basically what they would have gotten from putting it for sale in the thrift store. I was very excited about it!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #9 
ManInBlack2010

wow he's absolutely beautiful! congrats on your new betta!!!
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #10 
HazelrahLayna7

Thank you, ManInBlack! I'm super excited-Still!

Gave him a few pellets yesterday, he wasn't interested. Put some more in a couple minutes ago and he kinda looked at them but didn't get too excited. So maybe in a couple days he'll nom on a few. :}

And does anyone have tips on how to feed pellets? I've tried wetting my finger and dabbing it, picking it up with dry fingers, all that kind of stuff, but I always get too much. And the NLS pellets are so tiny!! They smell like good ole fish food....Haha, random thought. XD