Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #1 
Flaretacious

This makes me sad.

This makes me sad because you would think pet stores or any other kind of stores that house fish would know its mean and cruel to have any fish in a small space. Betta's have enough hard time living in cups and well I think stores shouldn't be allowed to house them like that, they just sit on a shelf and are forgotten about half the time and their water seems to be not filled or changed. Its abuse and its sad that they will tell you that your betta can live in those cups or small vase which I think is down right cruel. all the other fish get to live in tanks why can't the betta's? I hope one day that there will be a day when I go to the pet store and see betta's in fish tanks and not cups.
Flaretacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #2 
Bresn

I'm with you,but being in a cup might be good,Bettas in tanks=Takes space=Less bettas=Less bettas to choose from.
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #3 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaretacious View Post
I hope one day that there will be a day when I go to the pet store and see betta's in fish tanks and not cups.
I don't think there will be a day. Everything is about money. Even most breeders keep them in jars.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #4 
Terrie

The fish store I go to, which is pretty reputable (they even have a huge shark in there) keep their bettas in cups....I once saw one that was dead...or sleeping but I'm pretty sure he had recently died :(
Terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #5 
Fieldz

So true. Some stores even colour the water to hide the dirt. Makes me want to throw them on the ground so they die and stop suffering so much. My Betta was in one of those, I rescued him and I bet he is infinite times happier now.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #6 
Flaretacious

I rescued Flare from a cup.. His water was nasty and you could tell it wasn't changed and the water was kind of low. I even noticed that there was a Betta missing from its cup and when I went and told one of the workers their just like "yeah people come through and they will sometimes dump another betta into another betta's cup and watch them fight" that is really messed up right there and it shows you how much they pay attention or care about their betta's.
Flaretacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #7 
Terrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaretacious View Post
I rescued Flare from a cup.. His water was nasty and you could tell it wasn't changed and the water was kind of low. I even noticed that there was a Betta missing from its cup and when I went and told one of the workers their just like "yeah people come through and they will sometimes dump another betta into another betta's cup and watch them fight" that is really messed up right there and it shows you how much they pay attention or care about their betta's.
Wow that's terrible! Both on those customers and on the workers!
Terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #8 
Bresn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrie View Post
The fish store I go to, which is pretty reputable (they even have a huge shark in there) keep their bettas in cups....I once saw one that was dead...or sleeping but I'm pretty sure he had recently died :(
Shark?How many space did it took up?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #9 
Bresn

We just all have to face the fact the bettas is just going to be in cups in stores
Old 09-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

As sad as it may seem...the Betta kept in a small temporary (key word) cup is safer than kept in a large tank in the pet shop...
I do agree that a water change should be made more often, one good thing at least most are not fed to further pollute the water.....

In resale-you have to understand that Bettas in the Temporary cup is for display and resale...just like all the other species fish in too small, overcrowded tanks...same difference.......the other fish are kept incorrect too....it just for display and resale...

It is the consumers responsibility to research before they buy the fish so that they can properly meet their needs and not depend on employees for correct information or emulate what they see on the shelf and assume what they see/hear/told is correct.....

Betta are territorial fish and for their own safety need to be kept alone, otherwise they could be torn to bits kept in a over crowed with strong filtration display tank at a pet shop.....

I do agree....Change the water for crying out loud.......it wouldn't take but a hour for 30-50 temporary cups if you are organized and had any work ethics......and shame on those cruel people that think its cool to put 2 Bettas together to watch them fight and then walk away leaving them to die........Karma......it will get you...its just a matter of time......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote