Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #1 
adamxaotmic

Advice on divided tank filtration

I have a 10gal divided tank (into 3 sections.) The filter intake is in the section all the way to the right, and the out flow flows directly in half of the middle and right section.
The problem that I have is the section all the way on the left doesn't get any filtration. It's starting to get a film on the surface and the water is cloudy. So I thought about extending the intake of the filter to that section using a PVC pipe elbow and about 12" of PVC pipe. So that it will look something like this.
FILTER
FILTER INTAKE
FILTER OUT FLOW
PVC PIPE EXTENSION
DIVIDERS

So would this work? Or do I need to find a different solution?
I'll also be looking into replacing the "mesh" that came with the generic dividers with some mesh with bigger holes.
Any advice is appreciated.
adamxaotmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

The only problem I can thank of is the issue with dividers. I know the one's I have don't fit the tank very well and have to be clipped to the side and any hole is prone to investigation from a betta.

If you're going to cut a hole for your filter to fit, you'll just need to make sure it fits very snug with little to no gap since bettas tend to stick their head anywhere even if their bodies won't fit.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:13 AM   #3 
adamxaotmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
The only problem I can thank of is the issue with dividers. I know the one's I have don't fit the tank very well and have to be clipped to the side and any hole is prone to investigation from a betta

If you're going to cut a hole for your filter to fit, you'll just need to make sure it fits very snug with little to no gap since bettas tend to stick their head anywhere even if their bodies won't fit.
Yeah the dividers I got are crap. From petsmart. But after 3 hours and lots of cursing and "tank modding" i got them to fit perfect.
I'm using a sponge thing to baffle my filter so it fills in the gap that I had to cut in the divider for the filters out flow.
And I was going to use some cable grommets for the holes I will have to cut in the dividers.

I guess I just really wanted to know that IF everything goes right, will this work for getting the other side of the tank filtered?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:21 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

Technically it should, but then you'd run into the same problem of the other side not being filtered since the intake will be on the opposite side of the tank. Is there any way to move the filter to the middle section? Or does the lid not allow that? the outflow might work to move the water to the portion with the intake though, so it's worth a shot.

I know water does go through those dividers (I've got the same ones), but it does tend to slow down any sort of transfer or filtration as is clearly seen with ick medication since it takes a few hours for it to diffuse to the other sections.

If you could find a way of having some intake in each section that would be amazing, but I can only imagine managing that to be difficult. Your plan for sealing the gaps though is a good one.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #5 
adamxaotmic

No the lid does not allow that. =/

I could do it so that it intakes from all the divided sections. It wouldn't be hard, just cost a little more.
And since I'm doing that, I might as well face the intake nozzles to the rear of the tanks to keep the Bettas from getting too close to them.

I think I'll first try just running the extension to the middle of the tank and see if it has enough suction to filter the right and left sides.

Last edited by adamxaotmic; 09-07-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:27 AM   #6 
Pataflafla

I think that would work then. Or at least I hope it will.

Good luck with your project.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #7 
tlyons01

I just wanted to chime in, I am facing the same issue. I have a divided 10, but only one divider that I made from plastic canvas. I found that they do make ones with slightly larger holes throughout, outside of what they sell at walmart. My craft store here had a size 5 count, which I found to be helpful and sturdier than the one I originally tried to use. Even with that, my filter, which stays on one side only due to hood restrictions, doesn't seem to be working on the far side. Although this morning I found one of my bettas fins are all torn up, and I know that is from his fins being pulled toward the filter side by the intake. Outside of all of that, I am very interested in hearing how your project works, if it does or what tweeks you are making so that I may try to improve my setup as well..l. please post your results
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #8 
adamxaotmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons01 View Post
*SNIP* Outside of all of that, I am very interested in hearing how your project works, if it does or what tweeks you are making so that I may try to improve my setup as well..l. please post your results
Thanks for the input! I have this sponge thing that I'm using as a baffle for the out flow.
(It actually was a fan filter from one of the computer cases that I have.) And I'm planning on using some to put in the intake nozzle to decrease the suction.
This is it right here.

What I'm going to do is try to trouble shoot for the easiest solution first.
1. Extend intake nozzle to the center of the tank.
2. (If that doesn't work)- Replace mesh with something that has less density.
3. (If that still doesn't work)- Extend and add nozzles so that all 3 sections have an intake.
(I'll have to do some math and figure out how much smaller I'll have to make the closest one to the filter to even out suction power.
If they were all the same size, the first tank would get more suction than the middle, and the last would barely get any at all.)
Make sense?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

It may be easier to get another filter for the other end of the divided tank. I know I once extended my intake on my HOB filter in my 29 gallon long and it drastically slowed the outtake...which was nice for my betta, but I don't know how well it was doing its job...So I added more filtration. You could also get a few internal filters for each section. If you go through with this, let us know how is goes! I am kind of trying to figure out how to filter my new 20 long i'm going to divide for 4 bettas...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #10 
adamxaotmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
It may be easier to get another filter for the other end of the divided tank.
*SNIP*
That's another thought I had. The filter I have is $10 at Walmart. So that might be the easiest (but not cheapest) way to go.
If I cant find the right size PVC I'll probably just Dremel another hole in the hood. Put the filters on each side and the heater in the middle.
Thanks for the advice!