Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #1 
Silverfang

My sorority (in progress!)

Well, I'm back in the province, I've bought my tank, need a few more items, some accessories, and to figure out what kind of light bulb I need.

Tomorrow I go off in search of silica sand (at least that is what I believe it is called) and to poke over the new arrival of aquatic plants!

Isn't she a beaute? Tank, stand, light and hood, and oh so many accessories all for 150. Thank you kijiji. Oh, and a bundle of live plants... that have been sitting in a bag for a few days so I have to open them up now while I'm setting up the tank.

Canopy

And lots of accessories! (I'm not sure about what ones I'll need besides the filter and a heater). Well new heater 25W for 33gal? Doesn't sound like a good idea.

I wish I could share pictures of the stock I was drooling over. Dragonscales, with half moon parents. All have been living together for a while in another 33 gal, I think I'm going to have a good start!

I will post updates as I get more done, and of course, lots of pic spam when there are girlies! I'm starting out with 5 girls, plan to go up to 10. And have a school of 6 panda cories (hence the sand). Haven't decided on anything else, save a few shrimp (no idea if they will be anymore than a snack, so starting with a few ghosties).

Just wanted to share the exciting transformation!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Uhm, well all I can tell is that the long green thing is probably an airstone. I think I've seen one like that before. But what the other stuff is . . . A lot of airline tubing and cords. XD But what a fantastic deal! The stand looks great. That alone would cost $100 or more. I'm so envious. You have a 33g to play with, what fun!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #3 
Silverfang

In the pet shop a 33gal kit and stand was 540! So quite happy.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Score! You qualify for the frugal fish keeper's club.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #5 
Silverfang

After another expensive trip, I have plants, 6 bunches of brand new plants that arrived yesterday. 2 new anubis, an anachris, a funny little banana plant, what I believe is moneywort, and valis something or other.
Also uncovered the inherited plants, not sure what they are (the ones in the blue). I think sword plant of some kind, it looks hardy, has lots of roots, and uh, am hoping someone can help. Keeping them under the lighted canopy until I get the sand and fill it with water. Unfortunately today ran long.

With any luck I'll have my first five girlies before next weekend.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #6 
Sakura8

I'm not too good at identifying plants myself but those look like sword plants to me. Still pretty green and healthy looking, too. Looks like your girls will have plenty of plants to hide and play in.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #7 
Laki

I loves a bit of Kijiji!! Awesome deal!!

Can't wait to see it set up :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #8 
Silverfang

She's all planted and set up!
Apparantly my ph is a bit high 7.6-7.8. Going to retest the water in another day or so and some tap water, hoping it's just the tap water.
Anyways! pictures!

And my first female! She won't be going in yet, at least until I determine if the Ph difference is from the source water or not. She's so tiny, and shy. The moss she's floating in was free, they wouldn't sell it, but he just ripped off a few clumps and stuck it in with her for me. Cool! She might stay in the container for a while, let her grow up. She's in about a gal, and a heater, so she should be good if I need to keep her in that for a while. Want her to be a bit bigger before I introduce her to other girls. I felt the need to rescue her >.>

Old 09-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #9 
Sakura8

She's so tiny, I almost couldn't find her! I love it, the plants look great and I really love the dragon decor.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

Did you say you're using a 25watt heater for a 33 gallon? 25 watt heaters are rated for 2-7 gallons. You need a 100 watt heater for that size tank. I like your little girlie. She's adorable!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote