Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #1 
Foisair

I'm guessing biting but just to be safe...

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food, Omega One Betta Pellets, Top Fin Freeze-Dried Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pieces (varied) in the am and 2 in the pm on weekdays. Nothing on weekends.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week (last week I was sick and could only change it once.)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

(Tested yesterday)
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.0
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a chunk out of the back of both his dorsal and anal fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Tuesday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Normal water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for about a month and a half.

So my biggest curiosity that makes me think he may have bit them is there's no black edging. If anything, he has red in some spots. Which would be fine if he were a red fish. The red is on the end of two of the spines in his dorsal, which seems shorter now. He also developed a red line a couple weeks ago along another dorsal spine after flairing. Being that all his red is on thin/see though parts of his fin it seems like it might be trauma to the veins. His tail looks to be in perfect shape and I haven't seen him chase it. I'm afraid to try and QT him (away from his live plants) and treat him with any kind of salt because I won't be able to change the water over the weekend. (He's on my desk here at work.) I plan on changing most/all of his water again tomorrow before the weekend and if it's not showing signs of improvment on Monday, I'll QT him all week next week.

Does finrot ALWAYS have black edging? Do you think the red could go away someday? Will he be fine over the weekend?

I'll try to remember to grab my camera tomorrow and get some good pictures. (My phone doesn't focus well enough.)

Thank you for your thoughts and advice.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #2 
Silverfang

Torn fins could be cause by any number of things, fin rot, tail biting, sharp decor, over flaring. Conservative measures of clean water and aquarium salt (1tsp/gal) will most likely be sufficient. This will prevent infection/rot. What you need to determine is the cause. If it was biting, then it gets complicated. If he just tore it on something, it's a simple as removing the offending piece of decor (or whatever it is).
A picture might help to determine if biting or a tear on something.

Edit: I like stress coat, it helps with healing wounds, I use it after my boy chews his fins.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #3 
Foisair

Thanks Silverfang, I've been meaning to get some stresscoat anyhow.

I was able to get a semi-decent picture of him today with my phone. (Forgot my camera...again.) Because of the clear parts of his fins, they always look more tattered in pictures. In the pic I got, you can see the red along the spine and at the end. The clear parts around the red end is torn.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #4 
Silverfang

He may very well be a biter. It looks like he's got some nice clear growth, but the way the blue bits look, it resembles biting. If that makes any sense. Those look like some wonderful plants!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #5 
Foisair

It's hard to tell, even in person, what's actually new growth and what's normal fin. He's always had white/clear edges on his fins. When I got him all of the fins were almost entirely white and clear. (See avvy pic.)