Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

2 part question having to do with tear in fin

Just recently upgraded my betta, Cash, from his betta bowl to a 3.5 tank with a filter. i got a set and right on the box it said perfect for bettas and other small fish so i figured the filter would not be too strong for him. well he's been in it for over 48 hours and he's still fighting the current. he hides out in his house or behind plants or even behind the filter most of the time and i felt so bad that i went in search for some larger plants to put in the tank. I went to three different pet stores on my lunch break and the only plants they had were live or plastic. i didn't want to have to deal with live plants and i knew i shouldn't get him plastic but i was desperate. one of the packages was open and i felt the plant and it didn't feel sharp at all to me, so i got it. well i came home from work today and saw he had ripped a huge hole in his top fin (well not huge, size of a pea). i took the new plant out immediately and i have learned my lesson and feel absolutely horrible :'(

so question 1) what can i do to help his tail recover
2) what should i do with the water current in my tank? i'm going to some more petstores tomorrow in search of non plastic fake plants or i guess i might have to invest in some live plants. is there anything else i can do?? i feel kinda hopeless, whenever i'd ask an employee in the fish section if they had plants that were safe for betta's they were clueless as to what i was talking about :(

thanks for your help and i filled this out for you guys

Housing

What size is your tank? 3.5
What temperature is your tank? about 72, installing heater tomorrow
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? tomorrow it will be
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no tank mates

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin Tropical Flakes, i bought him better food but he won't eat anything else, even blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day in the pm

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? when he was in the betta bowl i did 100% change once a week, he's been his new tank for close to 3 days and i havn't been able to change the water yet but plan on it tomorrow
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? i was going to do about a 50% change
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? "Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner"

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I have not tested it

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just the pea sized hole in his top fin, the rest of his fins seem a little more ragged than normal
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? doesn't seem as happy, when i came home today he didn't greet me like he normally does
When did you start noticing the symptoms? an hour ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i took the plant out, thats it
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope, i've only had him for a month
How old is your fish (approximately)? only had him a month, lol, he's a walmart rescue
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:29 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi ManInBlack and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you need to check out this

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

It will show you how to make a baffle for your filter so you guy doesn't get tossed around so much.

Can you describe the plastic plant? Is it a spikier plant or a broad leaf plant? Don't feel bad. I think on its own the plastic plant probably would have been fine, it's just that the filter current probably pushed your guy into it. Except for super spiky plants like this one below, most plastic plants are okay:

Since your guy has a rip now, be sure to keep the water super clean so he doesn't get a secondary infection.

Good luck with him!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #3 
ManInBlack2010

thanks sakura! i'm gonna try to make a baffle for his filter right now since i'm currently doing a water change ;) i also got him some silk plants for his tank instead of that plastic one my camera isn't working but it was something along the lines of this:

I'm glad i'm here on this forum, i went to each petstore in the area today because i had the morning off work and every place i went said that i should just take the filter out and there was no way to slow it down and they insisted that my betta didn't need a filter or a heater and that 3.5g was a huge tank for him... atleast i know better now! And thanks again so much for your help!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #4 
Sakura8

I'm so glad we can be of help here. And pet store employees. Sadly, most of the time they don't really know what they're talking about.

That plant looks okay if need to use it for a hospital tank or something. It will also float well too. But he'll love his silk plants.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #5 
ManInBlack2010

The baffle is AMAZING, it's perfect! Cash is soooo happy right now, lol. He's checking out with new silk plants and flaring at himself in the heater, hehe. no more getting pushed around by the water in his tank :)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #6 
Sakura8

That's awesome news. If our bettas are happy, we're happy, haha.