Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

new 20 gal :) NEED ADVICE

Ok so I posted earlier with no responses :( wah . well I bought a 20 gal today, yes I GAVE IN haha even tho i was only supposed to just be looking . (sigh) oh well! I plan on moving my social betta female Ruby into the 20 gal, and my more territorial betta female Flora into the 10 gal. Right now in the 10 gal I have 1 cory cat and 1 red platy. I'm looking to add some tankmates to my 10 gal as well as my 20 so any suggestions I'd like to hear them also more decor suggestions here are pictures of my two tanks the taller is obv the 20 and the longer one is the 10 gal which has my fish and the most decorations.Also when I add the betta I am adding more small plants and a floating betta log. Thanks guys
Attached Images

Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #2 
Banicks

I have been told Tetras are alright as tank mates with Bettas.

However it can depend greatly on how Betta reacts.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #3 
Sakura8

You will probably want to get at least 3 more cory cats, too. They are a schooling fish and really love to be in groups of 4 or more. Also, maybe 2 more platies. Again, schooling fish. Beautiful tank and good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #4 
MMAsac
Banned

yes, just try it out, if you see its not working then obviously remove them at once.
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #5 
Anitax3x

ok :) will do. Are there any fish I can ad that arent schooling fish? or that would be good with my betta flora who isnt as social as my betta ruby? I just keep researching and it seems like lists conflict of betta friendly tank mates
Old 09-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Well, the cory catfish will go great in the 20g with your betta because cories stay on the bottom most of the time. You could get one bristlenose pleco, they get about 4 inches. But pretty much the only other kind of fish that will get along with other fish are bottom dwellers or schooling fish.

Which tank are you trying to stock? I should have asked that first because the list changes if it's a 10g or a 20g.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #7 
Anitax3x

im trying to stock my 20 gal. which will have 1 of my female betta's. also my other tank the 10 gal. Has 1 betta, 1 albino cory cat, and 1 platy. I'm open to switching things around so just tell me what fish u suggest for what tank :)
Old 09-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #8 
Sakura8

For the 10g:
1 betta
4 albino cory cats
3 platies

For the 20g
you can do more cory cats and platies or you can get tetras or rasboras and a bristlenose pleco. But betta compatible fish include glowlight tetras, harlequin rasboras, platies, cory cats, and oto cats.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #9 
Anitax3x

you are AMAZING :) I was so confused ! What about mollies? are those good with bettas ?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Mollies will work, too. You will hear some conflicting info about them, though. Some people say they must be kept in brackish (slightly salty water) and some say they are fine in totally freshwater. I personally think they do fine in freshwater as long as they are carefully acclimated to it. Guppies may or may not work, it depends on the betta. If you do guppies, be sure to get 1 male guppy and about 5 females. Or get all females. Same with platies and mollies. You always want a ratio of 1 male to several females.

Tip: If you have a huge algae problem, you might want to get 3 or 4 oto cats. They eat algae. You have to feed them algae wafers when there isn't enough algae but otherwise they're very easy maintenance. Make sure you have a really good filter if you get otos.

I'm glad this info helps you.