Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #1 
Ianthe

Question Should I try Princess in a ten gallon community? Out of ideas.

Hey guys, I know we have been in and out for the last few months, it's hard for me to be a regular poster, I have 2 kids under 5 and a full time job, LOL. But I do care about our Bettas!!!

Anyway, we have had Princess, a male Veil (don't ask) for several months now. He was pretty sick when we got him, but we treated him and he did perk up...for like a week. Basically he has always seemed depressed, lethargic, never flares or build bubble nests, most of the time clamped fins. I don't think he is sick, no sign of parasites, he swims fine and eats. He is in a 2 gallon, heated, unfiltered bowl. We do keep up on our water changes and regularly check ammonia levels, they are fine. Thought he needed a neighbor maybe, so a month or 2 ago we got "Cinderella", a male Crowntail, who was also sick but perked up very fast and did great, was very happy, alert, responded to us, seemed to be thriving....but dropped dead unexpectedly a few days ago :( While we had Cinderella, again, Princess perked up for a few days and then went back to his depressed self. Today we brought home a red veil male, this fish has already perked up and built a huge bubble nest, eaten, and seems very happy, despite his awful fin rot.

I don't know what to do about Princess, he seems miserable ALL THE TIME. I was thinking about trying him in our ten gallon community tank...it has a cory cat, a few tetras, a female guppy, and a dwarf gourami in it. I know gouramis and tetras are generally a no-no, but I was thinking it may be worth a shot? He seems so timid and listless I really can't picture him picking on anyone...

Opinions/thoughts???
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #2 
Banicks

I would imagine something may be wrong with Princess (confused as heck!) either physically or psychologically.

What kind of tank size do you currently keep him in?
How often do you change the water?
Do you use a filter and/or a heater?
Are there any decorations, plants, hidey holes, playful things?
What kind of water conditioner do you use?
Brand of food?
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #3 
Ianthe

What kind of tank size do you currently keep him in? 2 gallons
How often do you change the water? 100% once a week, and a 50% once a week
Do you use a filter and/or a heater? Yes heater, no filter
Are there any decorations, plants, hidey holes, playful things? He has a live plant, a silk plant, and a castle with a hidey hole
What kind of water conditioner do you use? Jungle
Brand of food? Hikari, and the occasional bloodworm for a treat :)
Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #4 
Banicks

Sounds all good to me as far as your current tank goes.

As long as the temperate is stable. I would imagine he is either bored or wanting more space to swim around – or he could just be rather lethargic and lazy, some Bettas don’t make bubble nests. The other thing you could try is AQ salt, a tonic for fishy that can perk them up. But generally you don’t want to use it if he is healthy, overly much. Think of it like antibiotics, only really want to use it on sick people, otherwise the virus gets stronger.

I would recommend API Stress Coat for your new fishy with finrot which aids in healing and also a dose of AQ salt for the same effect. Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #5 
Ianthe

Thanks!! I will definitely get our new guy on salt treatment! I was debating, since he seems to be doing so well already, but his fins are pretty rough, so we will start that tomorrow. Princess, he has been through several courses of it....in my quest to find out what his deal is...and it never seems to help much.

He just...sits there...in the same spot...all day, every day, barely moving. But there seems to be nothing wrong! I just wonder if he needs more stimulation/ a bigger tank. But I now it would be risky to try..
Old 09-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #6 
Banicks

It could be that he wants a bigger tank, or is more comfortable in a smaller one.

There was a large discussion the other week regarding psychology of a Betta. Where some love wide open aquariums just for them to swim around, whilst others prefer to sit in a smaller tank, or just sit in one spot in a large tank like your guy.

A good test for this, before you commit to purchasing a larger tank, is make your current one smaller. Place more plants and objects into it so that he can hide every two paces. Make it like a wild forrest in there for him, this might make him more at ease and you may see more movement (in theory).

If you see little to no difference, then perhaps an upgrade may be beneficial, however it might be a case of him choosing a new spot to stay in again all the time for the larger tank!

My guy loves his 6 gallon after a life in a container. I personally think if I went and bought a 20 gallon he would be even happier as he rarely stays still!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #7 
Ianthe

Thanks! I really can't get a larger personal tank for him right now, his choice is his 2 gallon personal or the ten gallon community. I will try shrinking his tank down a bit like you suggested...I do also have a one gallon bowl I could try for him?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #8 
Banicks

Anything under 2 gallon will need 100% daily changes, probably more stress than it's worth.

Test it with more decorations and plants first I reckon :)
Old 09-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #9 
Sakura8

If you shrink him down to the 1 gallon bowl for treatments, then it gets easier. Get a 1 gallon jug, like the kind milk or spring water comes in. Fill that with dechlorinated water and 1 tsp of aquarium salt, shake well to get the salt dissolving and then fill his bowl with that. Refill the jug and get it ready for the next water change. That's what I do when I have to use any kind of treatment. It makes it so much easier because if you do a partial water change, you don't have to try and figure out how much salt to put back in. You just pour out some water from the premade jug.

I'm so sorry to hear about Cinderella, Ianthe. :(

Oh, and since it's been pretty warm here (too warm), you can probably leave him in the 1 gallon for a week of salt treatments and not worry about a heater. My room stays about 85 degrees so the tanks are always around 77 or so and that's with my ceiling fan on full speed (hasn't been turned off since June - I'm surprised my ceiling hasn't taken off like a helicopter).
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #10 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
Anything under 2 gallon will need 100% daily changes, probably more stress than it's worth.

Test it with more decorations and plants first I reckon :)
Actually, unless you're talking about a QT tank treatment plan.. a 1 or 1.5 gal tank should not be changed daily. 1 50% and 1 100% per week should be the minimum.. anything more isn't idea.. it's the half a gallon that should have something like 50% daily changed.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote