Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #1 
Vanah

New boy: juvenille HM or tiny Delta?

You know that whole "no more" thing you tell yourself that never works? Yeah. So I brought home a very small new boy today.

(This is a HORRID photo, but it's late and I have a million things to do so a better picture will have to wait. He actually looks to be a true copper though!)

He came from Petsmart, and lately their shipments of dragons and (supposed) halfmoons have all been TINY fish. Like probably not fully grown yet tiny. They had a couple full halfmoons all spread and matured, but the majority were skinny little guys with short tails that look more like Delta tails to me.

So now I'm curious, are these truly halfmoons (which is what they are being sold as) shipped very young, and the tails are not grown out yet? I don't know anything about how long it takes for betta young to mature and fully grow, but I know most of the ones I see on Aquabid that are all grown usually say three months. Maybe Petsmart's supplier is shipping sooner than normal due to high demand?
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Awwwww!!!!!!! soooooo cute!!!!! He reminds me of a little bird, he's so delicate and adorable!!!! Great find =D I've seen the same thing at my petsmart, many of the halfmoons and even the crowntails have been tiiiiiny!!!!!!!!!! When I brought my Sullivan home, he was one of the tiniest bettas I've ever seen! But he's blossomed quite well now that he's been with me for almost two months =D Sullivan definitely looked like a delta when I first bought him, but as he's developed he has achieved a full 180 degree spread. I guess when they're that young it's hard to tell whether they'll be halfmoon or delta =/. It's my understanding that the fish in the pet stores are often used for breeding before they are sold, so maybe the smaller ones were just unsuitable for breeding?
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #3 
blueridge

I've noticed the same thing. The two new boys that I have now are super tiny. My halfmoon that I bought about a month ago has grown some in size, especially his fins.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #4 
copperarabian

Before I buy them I try and get them to flare, I find that about half the fish are deltas and not actually HM's. It's kind of dissapoitning because people who think they are getting a HM but don't know any better are kind of getting ripped off (Although the prices are still very good).

Also at my petsmart the photo example of a HM isn't even a HM, so if we bring it up they can probably say it is a HM because of the pic O.o

I bought this guy thinking he probably was a delta, but really liked his colors.

I also got this boy from petsmart who is a HM rosetail, so it's all about being picky if you really want a HM
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Vanah and Copperarabian, your fish are gorgeous!! Why can't I find any that look that nice? Boo hoo! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #6 
Vanah

Thanks for the input guys! If he grows out to be a true halfmoon he'll be amazing, but even a super delta would be pretty stunning. He has been named Travie, and it takes him forever to eat because the pellets are too big for his mouth until they soften up. I'm gonna try splitting some for him until he gets bigger.

Proper pictures!

I have a couple 2-gallon hexes from Petco on order, they should be here the end of this week. For now he's hanging out in a 1-gallon.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #7 
Leeniex

The petsmart bettas are super small lately! They make me want to take them all home and baby them, lol.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #8 
copperarabian

I saw one that was so small today I almost considered trying to convince them it was a female lol
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #9 
Behati

My betta was labeled as a HM as well but there are users here that say it will probably grow up to be a delta or super delta. I certainly hope so! The little guy looks like what I have. His tail grew quickly once I brought him home so it's a little more telltale that it's a HM. If he doesn't grow up to be a HM, well. It's okay. =)
Behati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #10 
Vanah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behati View Post
My betta was labeled as a HM as well but there are users here that say it will probably grow up to be a delta or super delta. I certainly hope so! The little guy looks like what I have. His tail grew quickly once I brought him home so it's a little more telltale that it's a HM. If he doesn't grow up to be a HM, well. It's okay. =)
I'll be happy either way, as long as he's a happy healthy fish. I'm just so curious, but I guess that will be part of the fun of watching him grow! <3