Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #1 
commonfish

A new fish! HMPK

Hello all!

This is my first post here, so I thought that I should start by introducing my new boy, a halfmoon plakat that I picked up today in the local Petco. I've had bettas before, but always just your basic Petsmart veiltail. My last boy passed a few years ago, and I hadn't gotten anybody new since then. Well, I got hit with the urge to get a new kid a few days ago, so I set up the tank and started looking. Boy have the locally available fish changed in those years! The last time I went fish shopping it was veiltails or crowntail- with the crowns being crazy expensive. Today both stores had "halfmoons" (read deltas) and plakats, even giants to choose from. It took me a while to choose, but I came home with this boy. I plan to call him Catnip, because he is sure to attract our cat. XD

He was labled as a double tail, but since he's clearly not I had the fish lady mark him down, hehe. His new home will be a 2.5 that has heating and indoor plumbing.

Sorry for the picture quality, I was too lazy to pull out the camera, so I just used my iphone.

I'm thinking he has a Cambodian or butterfly coloration, what do you think? I'm not the best with the colors, and he may change color on me yet... He does have a halfmoon tail, I pulled out my compact mirror to check his flare, and to my surprise he actually had that nice full D!
commonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #2 
Findlay

He's lovely!
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #3 
CrowntailTwitchy57

welcome to the forum, your betta is lovely! i hope he colours up!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #4 
commonfish

Thank you both! I suspect he will brighten up a bit with some groceries and TLC. His body has a pinkish tint to it, and his fins are obviously washed out, so I'm on the lookout for color changes! He's my first "fancy" betta, but already I'm scheming ways to fit a 5 gal in so that I can divide it and have two... addicting, that's what they are.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #5 
BetterBetta

So pretty:D I love his peachy-pink sheen. I'd say he's a Cambodian, although that little edge of white throws me off (I'm not the best with colors either).

Edit: I love love love the blue eyes!
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #6 
roadplug

He's a palomino fishie :D [I'm just learning about the colors too.] Welcome to the group.
roadplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #7 
CodeRed

He's gorgeous, is what he is! He's a dragon, looks like cambodian... I've never been the best with colors, but maybe even a bit of butterfly? Shoot, hopefully someone who knows more will come in and clear it up a bit! Welcome to the forum! You know how it goes, you really can't just have one! (:
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #8 
Indyfishy

O_O is that an orange (possibly dalmation) dragon plakat?!!! He's amazing, i've always wanted one of those!!!! You're soooo lucky!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #9 
commonfish

I was wondering about the dragon, but that was something that I haven't had any experiences with, so I was hoping that you all would be able to help with that. His color is quite washed out at the moment, so its hard to tell if he's red or orange. Either way I'm really happy with him. I don't think he has any dalmatian to him, he doesn't really have any spots... but that's another new color to me, so I could be wrong.

Here's some pictures of his swimming free is his new home! His heater spiked to near 90F, so I pulled it out for now... hopefully I'll get a bigger tank that the heater will work better in, I think its too strong for the 2.5.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #10 
Indyfishy

He's definitely a dragon, and I'm almost positive that he's going to be orange, but he might color up to be red once he's settled. Either way, he's amazing, i love him! He might just color up to be dalmation, in the pictures without flash i can see a few slightly darker spots on his dorsal and anal fins, and maybe even a few on his caudal. If he does develop the spots, then he is a superrrrr rare find! But whatever he turns out to be, he's absolutely beautiful =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote