Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #1 
caitic10

Shrimp Tank Size?

What would the minimum tank size be for 2-3 ghost or cherry shrimp?
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

I imagine that it could be pretty tiny. I have thought about setting up a shrimp tank that is 1/2 gallon. It's nice because (at least from my research, correct me if I am wrong) they don't need to be heated. A little moss ball and 3-5 cherry shrimp would be very nice.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 AM   #3 
caitic10

I was thinking about buying a small two gallon tank, with a filter and a light, and turning it into a planted shrimp tank.

Everywhere Ive looked they are only giving tank sizes for hundreds of shrimep. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #4 
dragonflie

Small shrimp as the ones you have listed have an extremely low bioload, so you could easily get more than 2 or 3 in a 2 gallon tank.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #5 
caitic10

My lfs doesnt carry ghost or cherry shrimp....but they do carry other species ofsmall shrimp.

I have a question, when would I need to preform water changes? How often?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #6 
Neil D

I would say in a 2 gallon bowl, with 5 Ghost shrimp and a moss ball, do a WC every week. 100%. You could probably do a 75%...but a water change in that small of a bowl wont do too much harm...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #7 
caitic10

Im going to put more than just a moss ball. Its going to be fully planted and filtered. And I am only going to add 2-3 shrimp. Its also not a bowl, its an actual little tank.
Would that really need weekly cleaning? Shrimp have small bioloads, the filter will be cycled and the live plants will be disturbed when I preform water changes.

For feeding, what should I feed? My lfs sells shrimp granuels made for tiny shrimp, and I will feed veggies like lettuce and cucumber. I am planning on feeding frozen bloodworms 1-2 times a week as a treat, as I have heard they love them. Am I missing anything?

How much should I feed? How many granuels? How many bloodworms? I was thinking about slicing the cucumber thin and letting that be an all day meal.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #8 
shinybetta

Most shrimp eat algea and plant based materials. ghost shrimp like more meat, and mine love betta pellets. The smaller shrimps can live in a 1 -2 gallon as long as the water is clean and well planted. ghost shrimp need 1 gallon + per shrimp. They reproduce fast so you may need more tanks if you get mixed genders. Shrimp are fun and easy to keep, and are great pets! Weekly cleaning is recommended. Watch the shrimp and see how many pellets they eat within 30 minutes. Adjust your feeding from there.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #9 
Flaretacious

I have a question, can Ghost shrimp and betta's do okay together or is the betta going to turn out to eat em?
Flaretacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #10 
bettafish15

It depends on the bettas personality, and on you having the shrimp in the tank first.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote