Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #1 
nvmyluv420

i gave my male betta two girlfriends.

i just bought my male betta two girlfriends. they are qutie smaller than him but he doesnt seem to mind. im not sure if the smallest one has eggs or not but shes very swollen and has what i thought fecies come out of her but she never drops it. its a white ball like thing hanging off her vent. they havent been together long at all but could she be ready to mate with him?? also he puffs up at them all the time but doesnt bite them he just circles them. is this a mateing call?
nvmyluv420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #2 
Falina

The male will only try to mate if he has built a bubble nest. Has he done this?

I have never bred bettas but I know that the recommended procedure for doing so it to keep the male betta seperate and then to introduce the female carefully, often in a breeder first to keep her safe and then keep a good eye on them for agression, only once the male has built a bubble nest. If the male is not ready to mate he can kill the females. I would watch out for this as your bettas flaring is more likely to be agression if he hasn't built a bubble nest. The female is then removed immediately after mating.

It's not usually recommended to keep male and females together unless it's done in the way I mentioned so I would be a little worried if I were you unfortunately. Keeping them together on a long term basis is likely to lead to agression and possibly death. Is there anywhere else you can keep the females?

I have heard of males and females being kept together, but only in very large tanks, and where there is a large number of females (6 or so) and plenty of hiding places.

What size of tank do you have?
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #3 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Feed your female betta green peas.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #4 
nvmyluv420

i have a 55 gallon tank, theres lots of hiding places! ive got live plants fake plants, and two fairly large decorations that have lots of tunnels. he hasnt built a bubble nest but i have noticed him surfacing for air alot more and making a lot of bubbles. i have and air stone and two filters so im not sure if the bubbles will even stay with the current being so strong. i can deffinetley purchase more females for the tank if you think this will help. i have three tanks right now and all of which have male bettas! i was about to make some new planted vases for some friends but i feel its soo small though the bettas dont need that much room. the smallest of the females has not been nipped at that i can tell but the larger one has so obvious nips on her back fins. i have a breeder box should i put them in there for the time being? or add some more females perhaps?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 AM   #5 
nvmyluv420

lupin- how do i give the peas, fresh uncooked or cooked? what about canned or frozen. ive always heard of doing this but never really have. my moms male is extrememley bloated, i changed his food today and he just cant pass it, i have frozen peas and can getfresh tommarrow but how do i prepare it??
Old 09-04-2007, 02:51 AM   #6 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmyluv420
lupin- how do i give the peas, fresh uncooked or cooked? what about canned or frozen. ive always heard of doing this but never really have. my moms male is extrememley bloated, i changed his food today and he just cant pass it, i have frozen peas and can getfresh tommarrow but how do i prepare it??
Fresh. Always thaw the frozen peas. Remove the shell and pund the peas to little bits so the betta can eat them.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #7 
nvmyluv420

thnx! hope hell eat them.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #8 
nvmyluv420

ive been watching my tank all day today and ive noticed some wierd behavior. the male betta was swimming side by side with one of the females for a little while. than leter he tried going after both of them not flaring but chasing them and my male angel fish went after him. the angel stays with the females a lot and everytime my male betta comes over he chases him. its sooo wierd i want to believe hes trying to protect them but i doubt thats whats really going on. but theres no new nips today and ive added some melaluca oil which helped heel some of the old nips.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #9 
BettaFishRule

I herd to never give a Betta Fish peas. It just backs them up more and eventullay they will die.
BettaFishRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #10 
fightergirl2710

This thread is 4 years old, please don't bring up old threads..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote