Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #1 
Sarahlydear

Exclamation Major Pine Coning and not doing to well

Hello everyone. So I've been at college for about 3weeks and I've noticed this rather large guy from the first day I was here at the local PetSmart. I refrained from buying him, only giving him a few days to live, but 3weeks later he's still kicking and I couldn't leave him any longer.

Here is the info you usually require:
Housing
What size is your tank? He is in a gal pickle jar but only a few inches of water because he has a hard time getting to the top
What temperature is your tank? Right now room temp I'm working on getting him in a heated tank, I may be able to do that tonight
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? not yet
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I've only had him a few days and he hasn't eaten anything but I've tried frozen blood worms and NLS
How often do you feed your betta fish? I've only tried once, will be up to twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? everyday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, Aquarium Salt and switching Stress Coat every other day because I wasn't sure what else to add but I don't know if it'll actually help

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
N/A But I've never had any issues with my other 3 and snails
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He had white scales growing and is pine coning something fierce
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He doesn't really move or do much but since getting him he has colored up and will spaz out if you move his tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3weeks ago but I just bought him a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? clean water, aquarium salt, stress coat
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No Idea
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea

Here is the tank he is in:

And here is what I could get of him.

I've dealt with fin rot, fungal infections, and tail bitting but nothing like this and not this bad. ANY advice would be great appreciated. I'm working on the heater thing but the other problem is that he is in such little water all my heaters would fry him.

Please, please, please, please, please help me help this little guy.
He's in my RA's room and she's getting attached (I'm thinking forever home after some coaching on how to properly take care of him) but he's still under my full care until he's healthy. He really is a fighter and seems to want to live and has seemed to improve.
I just need to know what to do to help him.
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella is in pretty bad shape.....sadly once they start to pine-cone...he may already be in system failure and this can be fatal....good that you have him in a small container with low water level without any water movement...I would get him on Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins...not aquarium salt-this can make symptom worse.....you can usually find Epsom salt at most stores that have a pharmacy dept even grocery stores will sometimes have it...
Tannins- either IAL or dried Oak leaf is best.....the darker the better.....

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins...let this steep for at least 30min-1hr to release tannin and salt to dissolve....Shake well...use this premixed treatment water for 50% water change every hour for 3 hours today and tomorrow start 100% water changes daily using the premixed treatment water for 10-14 days....it should be darker each day as the tannin release and this is what you want....

Also, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for his labyrinth organ, dim lit-quiet location...try to keep the water temp in the 76-77F range during treatment...hold food for now and if you can find some mosquito larva offer them on day 2 and feed them 2-3 times a day...or frozen or pellets that have been laced in fresh crushed garlic juice....

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Good luck with him Sarahlydear. I can't add anything that OFL hasn't already mentioned so the best I can do is wish both of you well. I'll be thinking of him and hoping he pulls through. But if he doesn't, know that at least you gave him a few days of love and care and the opportunity to pass in clean water. That makes you a hero in every fish's eyes.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #4 
Sarahlydear

I ended up floating his jar in my big tank (he couldn't see any other fish and wasn't bother by any one or thing) to raise the temp. Sadly though he passed away last night. :(

Thanks Sakura8 he isn't the first fish I've bought and lost but I was really hoping he'd pull through. But you're right at least his last days were good and I am thankful I could give his poor soul that.
OFL thanks for the tips! I've printed off your post so maybe I can catch it earlier and start off doing the right things.
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #5 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry to hear he passed, Sarahlydear. But he passed away at least knowing what it was like to be loved, even for a short time. You did good. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote