Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #1 
Norichan

Unhappy Cryo's SBD... no improvement...

Ammonia levels are fine, he lives in a filtered 2.5g tank, water temperature is good, he gets fed once daily. I take care of this fish.

I also give him epsom salt baths, he's had SBD since I got him. But it doesn't help, he has shown no improvement, and has no interest in peas. His fins have healed somewhat from their splits, but after a certain point they just... stopped...

I'm really worried. I've done everything there is to do, that I know of, anyway. He's being moved into a little critter keeper thing where he can get around easier. I've been told SBD isn't deadly, but he's just so beat up and weak it's painful to watch. Is there anything else I can do for him?
Norichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #2 
Creat

Have you talked to OldFishLady yet? I would suggest not giving him epsom salt baths and just dosing the entire tank he is in...I would try 2tsp per gallon. Define good temp? I would have he temp at 80* F as well also what are you feeding him? and how much of it? betta can go a long time without food I would suggest holding off his food for three days with the higher temp and epsom salt you might see improvement. Also are you sure its SBD it might be something else internal thats causing bloat.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #3 
Norichan

It's not that he's bloated. He can't swim. His back end sinks and he has to flail to stay at the surface. Like I said, it's painful to watch. The temp hovers around 80, a little lower at night... the conditions here in the apartment are very stable. He gets Omega betta pellets, five or six of them at a time.
Norichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #4 
Creat

Usually SBD is characterized by bloating... but I would still fast him for 3 days no food at all and try the epsom salt. Also you can try the pea again after this fasting usually they will take it then. Also do you have him floating in a container near the surface? try to make it easier for him to reach the surface it will help him greatly. Also reduce the number of pellets 2 pellets twice a day will suffice him just fine after everything.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, sad, sbd, sick