Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #1 
Myates

Question New guy, SBD?

I got a new guy earlier today from the LFS. The stock was really clean and their cups were actually about 3-4 cups of water. There were a little debris in his cup due to we got there just as they opened and didn't have time to clean. So anyways, he rode home in my BF's pick up which is a little bouncy and the drive home took roughly 40 mins. (we live outside of a small town that is a long drive from a town slightly larger) So he got swished around in his cup some, poor guy. I know he was stressed. Now he is doing something that worries me, but puzzles me.

Tank size: 1gal QT
New water with the proper water conditioner this morning prior to picking him up
78*F
He tried to eat a half of a pellet (he's rather pretty young)

I know the norm, needs time to adjust, etc. But this to me doesn't seem quite the "norm".

Symptoms:
Staying at the very top, sometimes tips slightly to the side.
Struggles to swim down, made it once to the bottom and stood on his head and floated back up backwards.
I tried to move him with the end of a net, gently touching him with it and moving him slightly. He tried his little heart out to swim away poor guy. So I stopped (only lasted all of 5 seconds) and he pretty much "popped" back to the top of the water and stayed there. He's scared and I don't think he wants to be there, and he definitely doesn't want to be chased.
So that is why I believe there is something off about him.

He shows the signs of SBD in terms of his swimming.. but he is not bloated the slightest. He is a healthy size/weight for his age.
Could he have SBD and not be bloated in the belly? Could this be some form of shock? It has been 7.5hrs since he has been home and when I tested his swimming. He doesn't show any other sign of any other illness, his coloring pale to being stressed. I did see faint stress stripes a bit ago. His light is off on the tank. I have not lowered water because he is at the top constantly.

Should I do the SBD treatment with Epsom just in case? Or AQ or just leave him and watch. I don't want to medicate unless needed. Thanks for any info in advance.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

I would start the epsom salt treatment and presoak his food for a few days to see if that helps any. If he looks and acts healthy otherwise, I think it might be stress and some possible swallowed air.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #3 
Myates

Ooh the swallowed air may be a possibility.... half the time when he tried to get air in the cup on the way home, the water was sloshing and he was pretty fidgety the whole trip. Poor guy. =( Thank you, will put him on Epsom asap =)
Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Epsom salt for sure. Since he's definitely got issues swimming down, start with 2 tsps per gallon. Did you acclimate him to the tank? Once my guy got temperature shock after a water change and developed the same SBD problem. He couldn't swim down at all and he would pop back up until he hit the top of the water like it was a ceiling. I put him in epsom salt for the night and he improved greatly by the next morning.

I'm glad you rescued the little guy. Good luck with him!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #5 
Myates

Thanks =) He is doing much better now thanks to you guys. He's swimming around slowly, but swimming and checking out his new home. He even ate =)
I think it was a mix of shock from the drive, new home and possibly swallowing air. The temp was about 2 degrees different when I put him in, which may of been the cause as well. Had to leave and wasn't sure when I was going to return. Wanted to get him in his home since he was stressing and thrashing about his container before I left but maybe it was a mistake. I am lucky that he has/is recovering fine now. Will take him out of his epsom here shortly and do a 100% water change and add in tannins. Thank you again guys, was worried and wasn't sure what had happened.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Good to hear he's doing much better.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Really glad to hear that, Myates.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #8 
Myates

Thanks =) He's eating just fine.. he's still a little shy and jumpy in the tank.. once in a while stopping to clamp his fins, then swims off and fluffs out his fins. I guess I was over worried there, he's just so very small compared to my others and just finished a bout with some fungus on Spyro. So was extra-aware hehe.