Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #1 
karen1229

our beta is sick...velvet??

Hi everyone! I've just found your site and WOW! What a wonderful world of beta lovers and sooo much valuable info!

Here's the quick rundown of our situation...I hope you can help!
Beta's name..."Regular Fish"...named by our 4 year old so we go with it lol. We've had him for 3 months. He's in a 1 gallon tank, no filter or heater (don't kill me yet...I'm learning fast this isn't a good plan, but I had no idea!...I thought I was doing him a favor compared to the little 2cup deals that Petsmart guy was telling me was fine). He gets tap water with Aqueon Beta Bowl Plus, changed every couple of days. His bowl is near the window, not direct sun but pretty darn bright. He was a pretty blue when we got him, and his fins were "fine".

Now...he's not feeling well. I might guess he's got velvet from reading on here the last hour or so? His body color has gone "dull"...covered by a brownish (not noticably fuzzy or hairy) but maybe kind of a "film". I tried to shine a light on him in the dark and I'm not seeing "gold" as I've read in some other threads...but maybe because he's a darker fish it shows more in the brown range? But his color has definitely changed...no longer nice blue like it was. His demeanor isn't as happy as it was a few weeks ago. His appetite is down but he will eat a pellet or two a day as opposed to all of the 3-4 pellets 2x's per day he was (per bottle directions). He is burying himself as best he can under the statue that decorates his bowl. He'll stay "stuck" down there for a long time, til one of us is sure he's dead and then we wiggle the bowl and he'll come up. He still swims around some, but not as much as he did the first two months. His fins also seem to have small "knots" at the ends. These weren't there when we got him. Help on this one too please!

I'll try to attach a couple of pictures...

The first picture is from right after we got him for comparison. I forgot that his tail used to be bright red! It isn't any more, it's dull and blah/brownish bluish now. He also doesn't flare all pretty like that any more, his fins/tails just sorta stay skinny and together.

The second picture is today. I hope you can see the brown film I'm talking about. If not tell me and I'll try again (seriously, it's HARD to take a good picture of a fish lol!). You can also see the ends of his fins/tail are "knotted". He's also in his new normal position of hiding under the statue.

Thank you again for any input! I'm so scared I'm killing Regular Fish, my heart is breaking!
Attached Images

karen1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems....have a few questions.....

In the 1gal unfiltered tank-how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, additives used, tell us about your source water...tap, well, R/O, if tap does it go through any type of water filter system...etc.....and medications or treatments used/tried, any live plants or other tank mates....any buoyancy problems....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #3 
karen1229

100% water changes every couple of days...was about once a week but now more often (and I read today here I should be doing daily in a 1 gal?? yikes, I feel bad!)

water straight from the tap, Aqueon Beta Bowl Plus added, room temp, no heater

no medication yet

no tank mates or plants...just a fake statue thingy and some glass "rocks"

no bouancy problems, but he sits on the bottom alot now kinda looking sad...he used to swim more...but when he does swim now he seems to swim just fine

THANK YOU for your reply!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Do you have a thermometer to check the temp...this is really important....

I would also get a liquid type dechlorinator to use...like Prime

In a 1gal unfiltered tank-twice weekly water changes of 1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality......

It may be related to chlorine/chloramine-the color change may be more related to excessive slime coat in response to toxic substance.....

Get a thermometer and liq dechlorinater, aquarium salt, tannins-either IAL or Oak leaf and premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and tannin-let this steep for 30min and salt dissolve-Shake well before use and use this premixed treatment water for 50% water change every hour for 2 hours today and start 100% daily water changes tomorrow with the premixed treatment water for 10 days-

I would QT him for the 10 day treatment in the cup you bought him it-be sure and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ...dim lit-quiet location....water temp in the 76-77F range, hold food for now and on day 2 of treatment-offer live food like mosquito larva or pellets that have been laced in fresh crushed garlic juice-small frequent meals-remove any uneaten food.....
Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #5 
karen1229

OK I am not sure if I can get to the store until tomorrow, will see when hubby gets home. Will I be able to find aquarium salt, dechlorinator and tannins at Petsmart?

So let me make sure I understand...

Quarantine fish in small cup in dark quiet spot, watch temp to 76/77d. In a gallon of tap water mix 2t of aquarium salt, dechlorinater, tannis (do I also add the Aqueon Beta Bowl Plus water conditioner I've been using?). Do two 50% water changes an hour apart on day #1. Do 100% water changes daily for 10 more days. For food...can I used the pellets I have in the garlic juice or do I need a special pellet? For covering the cup...do you just mean saran wrap or is there something special to "veggie wrap"?

So do you think this is velvet or is it something else? Thanks!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Always use dechlorinator with any water added to the Betta...

Tannins-do you have any Oak trees that are free of pesticides, if so, gather 12-18 leaves that have naturally dried and fallen from the tree-crush them up and add them to the treatment water to steep for at least 30min before you use it

Salt-kosher salt, pickling salt will work......Sodium chloride is what you are looking for...without any anti-caking ingredients...Iodine is safe....

Yes, saran wrap...

Even if this is velvet...this treatment will work for that too, but I think it is toxic substance.....

Yes, the food you have will be fine.....

Proper dechlorinator and water temp are the too big issues...any type of liquid dechlorinator will be fine that covers both chlorine and chloramine-double check dosage for chloramine since some require double dose

The bubble buddies...Wait...I think I read that wrong...you are using a liquid dechlorinator...correct.....if so...just use double dose of it....