Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #1 
Fieldz

Post 6 Gallon with filter

Hey everyone. I bought Oscar, my dragon betta a Nice 6 gallon tank with a biological filter plus an aerator ( not sure how you say it but it just adds alot more oxygen to the water ). I have everything he needs including termometer , freeze dried blood worms, Aqua safe, floating food rich in nutrients and the PH test which I do once 15 days.

Now the questions...
How often should I change the water using and not using the filter and how much?

How many pellets a day do I give him? Is 4 enough?

Anything else I should buy to prevent the most normal diseases ( fin Rot,... )?

Thanks, Fieldz.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #2 
MaggieLynn

well you dont really need to add extra oxygen to the water, they get their air from the surface of the water not from the water. also freeze dried blood worms.. i wouldnt bother they can cause swim bladder issues, if you want blood worms frozen is best. Four pellets should be enough, and what i always have on hand is stress coat, aquarium salt and epsom salt. pretty much all of that can be used to treat most issues. I am not sure on the water changes I change my 5 gal every week at 80% a week, but that is what I can fit in between work and school.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #3 
BetterBetta

The Freeze dried bloodworms can cause bloating, yes, but that is only if you feed them too much. I feel like you'd be safe with once-a-week treat(: I feed all my bettas 4 pellets a day, 2 in the morning, 2 in the evening. I fast them on sundays to prevent any bloating though(:
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #4 
MaggieLynn

I have freeze dried but i rarely use them, they are only a last resort when i dont feel like preparing frozen ones when i get new fish who wont eat. but i have frozen brine shrimp and blood worms and have two types of pellets and flakes so i tend to just not use the freeze dried worms. plus they arent really nutritional. As far as feeding I usually just feed them all at once because of school and work and well 12 fish. so all mine get about 5 ish at night. I do watch to see if they get alil bloated cuz sometimes they get more than 5 >.< but fasting will help with that
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #5 
Fieldz

What do you guys mean by fasting ? Reducin the pellets to like 3 or 2 once or twice a week? And 50% once a week water change is fine for a single betta, isnt it?

Last edited by Fieldz; 09-10-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote