Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #1 
Vaughan06

Angry Filter Frustration... Need Help.

After trying several different baffling techniques, I settled for the bottle version. It worked well, but then I couldn't find a way to make the intake pipe safe for my Betta. The opening is so large I know it would tear his fins within the first few days.

I decided to ditch the filter altogether. What filters work best for you? I have a 10 gallon tank, and the filter I wasn't happy with is a Tetra 5-15 gallon filter. I thought of trying a small internal Tetra filter for 1-3 gallon tanks, but it also produces air bubbles, which I know Bettas don't need. Would trying a small filter system on my 10 gallon even work?

Are internal systems good for Bettas?

What about undergravel filters?

I leave for USAF BMT in about 25 days, so I'm trying to square away their tank before I leave.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #2 
flowerslegacy

I have a 10gal and I use the Aqueon 10 - it's the filter that came with the set up from Petco. I put a little bit of filter pad in the intake. Not a lot because then it slows the water circulation down to nothing. Just a strip about the width of your pinky finger and don't pack it in. Here's a pic of how I baffle it. Make sure the filter pad hangs down into the water about 1". You can buy a bag of filter pad for about $6. I think I got it at Petco too. It works really well. I have two males in the tank with a divider. The water circulation is great, my live plants are growing well and my double-tail has never had any problems with current or the intake grabbing him. He's really current sensitive too, so it took me a while to find something that worked for him. Hope this helps!
Attached Images

flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #3 
Wolfstardobe

I had a problem with my 10 gallon filter as well. What I found is if you wrap the intake with pantyhose it stops enough of the suction that you don't have to muffle the water out put. Just a small circle of pantyhose is needed. The intake suction should keep it in place. If not you can tie it on with a bit of fishing line. :) With I had a picture of it... Hope this helps you those.
Wolfstardobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #4 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstardobe View Post
I had a problem with my 10 gallon filter as well. What I found is if you wrap the intake with pantyhose it stops enough of the suction that you don't have to muffle the water out put. Just a small circle of pantyhose is needed. The intake suction should keep it in place. If not you can tie it on with a bit of fishing line. :) With I had a picture of it... Hope this helps you those.
Someone recommended that to me, but wouldn't that prevent the filter from filtering?
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #5 
Betta Rookie

I pulled apart a shower puff and attached some of that to the input and output areas of my filter with cloth elastics. (The shower puff and elastics were new and I rinsed them with hot water before putting them in.) The material in a shower puff has wide enough holes to let in more solid debris but is soft and does seem to soften the current enough to make my betta happy. There's a ton of material in a shower puff so just one will give you a lot to work with.
Betta Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #6 
Wolfstardobe

Quote:
Someone recommended that to me, but wouldn't that prevent the filter from filtering?
No. It will slow it some but it will not stop it. Pantyhose are very porous and everything still flows through. The only thing that stick to it is fish food and that should be removed anyway. I never had problems using this method. :)
Wolfstardobe is offline   Reply With Quote