Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #1 
stripedsocks

OK cycling method?

I was searching for information about cycling and I came across this method where you use shrimp (like from the grocery store) as an ammonia source. Would that work, and how well? It sounds do-able for me, since I can't get any pure ammonia, and I don't want to use the fish food method. But I also want to be sure that it's a safe method before I try it.. Any thoughts?
stripedsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What size tank, finale stocking plan, are you planning any live plants, type of filter, do you have a water test kit on hand or are you going to use the pet shop to test water for you......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #3 
stripedsocks

5 gallon tank, one male betta, no live plants, simple filter that comes with the tank, I'm planning on getting a test kit soon... So are shrimp OK to use?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

For a 5gal filtered with a single Betta...I would do the fish-in cycle...it is safe provided that you make the needed water changes....

The shrimp method will work, however, I was doing some research and found that the shrimp method will produce the same type of bad bacteria like the fish food method...makes sense....lol......and sometimes it can cause problems down the road......when you do a fishless cycle you do this so that you can stock the tank with more fish....the nitrifying bacteria to equal stocking...when you stock less than what the nitrifying bacteria need the excess will start to die off and eat each other and this can cause an ammonia spike.......

With fishless-you have to have a water test kit on hand...with fish-in you don't, however, its a good idea to have one anyway to help take the guess work out of it.....but you also have the pet shop that will make a water test for you for free...
Old 09-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #5 
stripedsocks

Um ok.. Thanks for your help, I will try to research about the fish-in cycle now :P
Old 09-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

In a 5gal filtered, without live plants-stocked with a single Betta during the cycling process fish-in.....without a water test kit on hand....

Water changes of twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% with vacuum in all places that can be reached without moving anything in the tank.

In 4 weeks-take some water to the fish shop to have tested-you are cycled if the test results are: ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 5-10ppm
Once you have these numbers cut back on the water changes to 1-50% weekly with vacuum....
On week 5-give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change...this will need to be done a couple of times a month once the nitrogen cycle has established...

If you have a test kit....make 50% weekly with vacuum and make 50% water only changes with test results of ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater....

Remember-some dechlorinating products can change ammonia to ammonium and the test kit can't tell the difference......