Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 
Flaretacious

Exclamation anyone have Bala Sharks?

I was just curious if anyone had bala sharks? I know this probably isn't the right place to be posting this but I can't seem to find any good Bala shark forums. I was thinking about getting one but probably not for a very long time, but was hoping that there would be someone here that would know about them and what size of tank they would have to be in but I herd they could live in a 20 gallon and be happy, but I do not know if that is true or not.
Flaretacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #2 
fishy friend2

Bala sharks get over a foot long and prefer to be in groups so you could not have one in your tank
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #3 
Flaretacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy friend2 View Post
Bala sharks get over a foot long and prefer to be in groups so you could not have one in your tank
so they like to be in schools, do you know what their tank requirements are?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #4 
fishy friend2

I dont really know abput there requirements, but I think it is like 4 or 5 bala sharks they can each get up to 14 inches in length and require 55 gallons per fish and are not recommended for smaller aquariums
Old 09-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #5 
Vaughan06

Quote:
I dont really know abput there requirements, but I think it is like 4 or 5 bala sharks they can each get up to 14 inches in length and require 55 gallons per fish and are not recommended for smaller aquariums
I know Walmart isn't the best source of information, but when I worked there our fish ID book said Bala sharks only grow to 8 inches.

EDIT: I decided to look it up and the max length I'm finding is 12 inches.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #6 
fishy friend2

Quote:
I am not experienced with these guys but I did research and this is wha came up I do not know if it is right though
Old 09-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

The Bala shark (Balantiocheilos melanopterus) are really neat species...but as the others have posted...they can get really big...over a foot long and need to be kept in groups since they are a social species, also they will enjoy a heavy planted tank....mild manor-peaceful-yet energetic fast moving fish....so you will need at least 100+ gal tank in the end.....otherwise you can't meet their needs and you can miss all the interesting behaviors they can display....they are omnivorous, scavenger and will eat some algae too...they will eat most anything...usually picking it off the bottom...not a long lived species (5-6yrs) so its best to start out with the proper size tank and not plan an upgrade later.......they may not last that long especially in too small tank to start.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #8 
Flaretacious

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The Bala shark (Balantiocheilos melanopterus) are really neat species...but as the others have posted...they can get really big...over a foot long and need to be kept in groups since they are a social species, also they will enjoy a heavy planted tank....mild manor-peaceful-yet energetic fast moving fish....so you will need at least 100+ gal tank in the end.....otherwise you can't meet their needs and you can miss all the interesting behaviors they can display....they are omnivorous, scavenger and will eat some algae too...they will eat most anything...usually picking it off the bottom...not a long lived species (5-6yrs) so its best to start out with the proper size tank and not plan an upgrade later.......they may not last that long especially in too small tank to start.....
Thank you, that information helped a lot :)