Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

What do you think Spartan and Crayola are? Bursting with Pictures :p

Spartan is an orange(ish) 2.5 year old male, quite good with children (by that I mean platy fry!!!). I thought he was a HM something, but "guess not". Have yet to get a perfect flaring picture as he likes to move, but his fins usually laps over, and his back fin used to be rounded... Thank Mr. Muncher -.- He is just over 2.5 inches including tail (slightly bigger than my giant female), and yes as seen in one picture he IS captain of the sunken ship

Now Crayola Colors is a tri-colored betta, his fins are much much longer than any other betta I have owened. Actually in the bowl he was bought from, he didn't fit like the others - his tail fin was always against the side of the bowl His flaring, showed me he has spikey tail ends. I have yet to catch him flaring at home!! I guestimate he is longer than Spartan if only because of tail... I really don't know what he is. He really looked like a HM full in the pet store when I saw him flaring at the other males. Sorry, he doesn't like the camera. I did try getting pictures lol
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #2 
Rocketscissors

They're so pretty!!!
Rocketscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #3 
hodgepodgen

I'd watch that spot on Spartan... I have a female betta who had a little spot like that (same color and everything) and it started to grow out. I think what she has is a tumor but I can't be sure. She's still alive and super active though.

Just a heads up. Hope it's not the same. >_<
hodgepodgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #4 
nochoramet

They both appear to be veil tails to me. They both have the downward droop like a pony tail. If Spartan wasa halfmoon cross it would look more like a delta tail, which is triangular. A full halfmoon would be a D shape. And as far as Crayola Colors goes, the spikes on his tail are normal for a veil tail. Most veil tails have all sorts of geneology in them and he may have crowntail waaaaaayyyy back, but if he were a crowntail cross he'd have a lot longer spikes. And his fins would look more tattered. They're both very handsome fish. Nothing wrong with veil tails.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

They're both veil tails... no halfmoon what so ever. Both only have two branches per ray. They're considered multicolors and I agree with the post above that that blue spot looks like many I've seen that have turned into tumors so watch out.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I have watched that spot. First it was a marking, then it seemed to have grown a bit wider. Yet you can see it through the other side faintly... I have yet to see any irregular lumps onto the other side (which I will note I saw Admiral have, same area, just no spot). He had it since he was a lil' guy, about 6 months old. And obviously there is nothing you can do for tumors on fish so not much I can do.

And look at the picture of Spartan by the ship... I have noticed this too!! See the small bumps on the spot? That has been new since about 6 months ago. How fast do tumors progress anyways? I have yet to have a problem, which is good. He IS 2.5 years, so he has some years in him :) .... a few, not some, at least.

sorry for double post... but...

Here is a question!! Is the tumor genetic? Because I have tried breeding him once (his first time) which I expected not to turn out as it WAS his first time, as it was the female's. Because if it is I mind as well know D: Colors however has no problem, no spot, no lumps, nothing :) Both pretty darn healthy fishies.

Also, how do they get the longer tail on VT, like C.C has? His is enormously long. His nearly identical sibling brother has even LONGER fins!! yet he was not very...lively.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 09-11-2011 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Multiple posting for no reason.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

They both look like veiltails to me, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #8 
CodeRed

Honestly, I would not breed him if I were you. You can't have any idea if the tumor is genetic or not, and that's not something you want to risk. If you are dead set on breeding, I would say breed a fish that does NOT have such an obvious disability. You have no idea how breeding him would affect him or his offspring. It would be a terrible shame to have to cull an entire spawn if it did turn out to be genetic...
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #9 
cajunamy
Banned

I would not breed any fish with a questionable spot like that, it looks very much like a tumor.

And both of those fish are pretty obvious veiltails. Any spawn with a halfmoon parent and you will get delta tail and super delta, halfmoon if you are lucky. So he is not a halfmoon cross, that is full veiltail.

A delta and super delta will be a triangular shape. Their tails have the classic veiltail droop, not triangular at all.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #10 
GreenTea

..why would you breed a veiltail with what is a deformity or tumor? :[
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, crayola, spartan