Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

Talking New guy and upgrade for both!!

I'm just so excited i had to tell you guys! I currently have my first Betta (who i have owned for a month) in a 3.5g tank with filter/heater whole nine yards - an upgrade from his original 1.5g betta bowl i originally had him in. Well tonight i went to petco with a friend and they had tank kits on sale so i ended up buying a 10g tank and then bought a divider, some more rocks and another betta :)

my new guy, which i named Hank after Hank Williams, is a purplish pinkish butterfly veiltail. absolutely gorgeous (tried taking pictures but my camera stinks) his top fin is curled over, i'm guessing that's from living in a small cup his whole life? or is that just a birth defect thing? Right now he's living in Cash's old betta bowl until i get the 10g fully set up.

i think i kinda freaked him out when i put him in the bowl. I had his cup resting in the top of the bowl for over half an hour so i don't think it was shock. he has in there two small plants, black gravel and a leaf bed and when i put him in the bowl (using a net) he sat on the bottom for probably a minute until he came up for a breath... then he started zooming around flaring at everything - if he freaks out at being in a betta bowl i'm wary of how he's gonna react to what i have planned for him, lol.

i have another camera that should take better pictures but i can't find the charger for it. when i do, i'll take pictures of both my guys... just so excited!!
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:36 AM   #2 
Aquarianblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack2010 View Post
I'm just so excited i had to tell you guys! I currently have my first Betta (who i have owned for a month) in a 3.5g tank with filter/heater whole nine yards - an upgrade from his original 1.5g betta bowl i originally had him in. Well tonight i went to petco with a friend and they had tank kits on sale so i ended up buying a 10g tank and then bought a divider, some more rocks and another betta :)

my new guy, which i named Hank after Hank Williams, is a purplish pinkish butterfly veiltail. absolutely gorgeous (tried taking pictures but my camera stinks) his top fin is curled over, i'm guessing that's from living in a small cup his whole life? or is that just a birth defect thing? Right now he's living in Cash's old betta bowl until i get the 10g fully set up.

i think i kinda freaked him out when i put him in the bowl. I had his cup resting in the top of the bowl for over half an hour so i don't think it was shock. he has in there two small plants, black gravel and a leaf bed and when i put him in the bowl (using a net) he sat on the bottom for probably a minute until he came up for a breath... then he started zooming around flaring at everything - if he freaks out at being in a betta bowl i'm wary of how he's gonna react to what i have planned for him, lol.

i have another camera that should take better pictures but i can't find the charger for it. when i do, i'll take pictures of both my guys... just so excited!!
I am so glad you got a new 10g set up! By chance is it the top fin one? Got the same one a week or so ago, and it's nice.

I really hope you can get pictures up of Both Cash, and Hank. I'd love to see them. Which means I'm gonna be in your page, seeing if you have albums.

And lastly, as for the tipped over tail thing, on the top. I don't know how true this is, and I'm gonna research it now; but I had been told that older bettas have the fin do that. It may be fin melt, though. Maybe not. Let's keep each other posted. And again, so happy you got a new setup, and a new friend!
Aquarianblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #3 
Rocketscissors

Congratulations! I'll be looking here often for pics, don't let me down.
Rocketscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #4 
ManInBlack2010

trying to charge my camera now :)

and aquarianblue, i really hope it's not fin melt :( that wouldn't be good. should i wait to put them in the new tank until i find out if it is? (Which it's probably going to take a little bit, they might not be in it till tomorrow :( - i got the tetra aquarium starter kit and it's really kinda confusing, lol, but i'll manage)
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #5 
Aquarianblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack2010 View Post
trying to charge my camera now :)

and aquarianblue, i really hope it's not fin melt :( that wouldn't be good. should i wait to put them in the new tank until i find out if it is? (Which it's probably going to take a little bit, they might not be in it till tomorrow :( - i got the tetra aquarium starter kit and it's really kinda confusing, lol, but i'll manage)
I know I would look into that "fin bending" before putting him into an established new tank. It could be nothing, I was told it's from old age, but I don't buy that. Let's get answers though. I want your friend happy. healhy fin bent, or not.
Aquarianblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #6 
BettaMommy531rip

Hey ManInBlack, where did you find a divider for a ten gallon? I have a betta named Shimmer and I soon hope to upgrade her to a 10 gallon, but a divider would be nice (in case any other bettas come along, which I know they will). I am saving up right now to buy all the supplies for my hopefully soon to be sorority (it all adds up pretty quick).
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #7 
kfryman

It is probably fin curl, there is nothing to worry about. Usually it is caused by PH i think not sure. Faron had it and he was happy. For the amount of detail your giving you can't really have help. My guess would be fin curl though. A lot of petstores bettas have it
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote