Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #1 
Betta Rookie

my fish is spoiled & I have a couple questions :)

I have a 2.5 gallon with a filter and the filter seemed to bit a bit much for little Gilgamesh. I found a way to soften the filter output. (I pulled apart an unused shower puff and rinsed it well. Then I attached it so it would soften current.)

I was still trying to figure out a way to slow the intake of the filter a bit and went to Petco to see if anyone there had any ideas. Most of the staff at our local Petco are very helpful and they do take good care of their bettas. (platic cups aside) The guy working that day, however, just lectured me on the importance of having a filter and letting it work as it was designed to do. (blow-hard) I continued browsing and stumbled on some large filter sleeves. I thought these might help keep the water cycling full time but block most of the tank from the intake current.

I put the sleeve around the filter but did not turn the filter on right away so Gil could adjust to having something new in tank.

As it turns out - Gil is having a wonderful time in the fun, new "tunnel" that his mommy put in for him. He won't go in it when the filter is on but the minute it's off - he's playing in it.

So much for my "running the filter full time" plan...

Okay - 2 quick questions, betta experts.
1. My betta sometimes swims really quickly up and down the side of the tank and when he gets to the bottom, he'll "sideswipe" the sand at bit. Is this normal?
2. There is a small section of my tank that seems to have a reflection (basked on what Gil does there) but it's in a spot where I can't put a background. Gil swims there often and flares at the "other guy." He seems fine but I don't want him to get stressed. Can I leave the spot alone?
Betta Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

hi there =) and welcome to the forums!!

i would keep the filter on at all times .. even for an uncycled tank .. while it's true that not enough good bacteria can grow and develop for it to be completely cycled .. there could be some good bacteria growth (just not in colonies) where as when u turn off ur filter .. those good bacteria's will die .. and when you re-start your filter .. in essence will be pushing those dead bacteria through ur tank ..

for ur questions ..

1. it is normal that bettas may behave that way .. sometimes they get overly excited when they see you .. or know they will be fed .. and accidentally swim to fast and run into things .. this is normal .. as long as he's not digging in the sand or deliberately running into things and acting like he's trying to scratch himself on things .. then u have nothing to worrie about

2. if he's not doing it too often for more then 10 minutes at a time .. then he's probably not going to overly stress himself out .. it's normal for bettas to sometimes flare at their reflection .. it's exercise .. if he's really always over in his corner flaring at himself then maybe you could put a small plant there so his reflection isn't so clear
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #3 
Betta Rookie

Thanks for your help/ advice! I cleaned his tank yesterday and set up the filter but with the pad against the filter so he can't swim up it. (I also hung a hollow filter pad on the side of the tank so he could still have his "tunnel.") I plan to run the filter all the time now.
Betta Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:30 AM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

^_^ sounds like a good baffle job !! ..

next step is .. post pictures !!!
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote