Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #1 
DazzleKitty

How many of you keep your bettas in a 1 gallon home?

Hello guys.

Been a while since I posted here. I just got a brand new betta. He's the first one I've gotten in a while. He's a pure white halfmoon that the Petsmart employee said would certainly turn into a marbled betta. I'm not sure on that but he's gorgeous as is.

I bought him a temporary house of 1/2 gallon that was pretty cheap. But I'm going to move him up to something bigger asap. I'd get the 2.5 tank I was using before but this dude is in my room and it's hard to carry a 2.5 gallon tank for a water change without dropping it.

I was thinking about getting a 1gal-1.5 gal vase for him to live in. It'd look a bit better in my room too and I'd be able to get a good grip on it for water changes.

For those who do have the smaller home, are your bettas pretty happy in them?

I have a heater ready for him but I'm not sure it would work well in the vase. :/ It's a heater for very small tanks, though.

Also, I got him one of those marimo moss balls. I know those Petsmart peeps dont always know what they are talking about. They claim they take waste from the water so you only need to do a monthly water change. I think that's stretching it a bit. I used to do a weekly 50% and 100%. But if the marimo moss makes it where you need to do it less, that's pretty sweet.

Thanks in advance for comments.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

I keep one of my boys in a 1.5 gallon tank. It's one of those $20 ones from Petsmart that comes with a filter and airline hose. I don't know what they're called but they're square with an attached light witha drawer underneath. It works out well for both him and me since it's easy to do water changes on it and he doesn't get to see any other bettas (bites his tail out of aggression)
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:40 AM   #3 
Draug Isilme

I've got one in a 1.5g. I've had this tank for a while and had a couple of other bettas in it previously. It's nothing fancy. It's shaped like a bowl and it's made out of plastic.. The sucky thing is that it can get scratched so I can't just clean the tank with just anything, but the great thing about it is that I don't have to worry about it breaking if I were to drop it.
Anyway, all three fish I've had in it loved the space in comparison to their cups ^.^ So long as you do water changes, you're pretty much set. Another thing you might want to keep in mind is since it's smaller, the real thing you have to worry about aside from water changes is the possibility of your fish getting bored/exercise. There's limited space, therefore, the entertainment and 'body building' are both limited >.> You can keep them entertainedexercised by changing around the way you set up the tank after you change the water. Or you can also pretty much play with your betta by giving him something to go after or inspect. By that, I pretty much mean get a ping pong ball and put it in the tank for him to poke at (different colors are great. I've never tried the ping pong method, but I hear it's great), you can get something to dangle around the tank, just try not to hit the tank with it (my shelf has small sea shells hanging around mine and whenever I push one to swing back and forth, he immediately goes to it to investigate).. Ya know, be creative and give them something your fish will enjoy ^.^ You can also use a mirror, but just not for too long or often 'cause in comparison to him just investigating it, it stresses them out more..
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #4 
DazzleKitty

Thanks guys! :) Glad to hear the smaller homes worked out for you.

If I remember right, some of the tiny tanks I have seen have a filter. Does it do okay for such a small tank? The less poop, the better.

So let's say I get a little tank with a filter and I also have my marimo ball....how much water changes would be suggested?

I think I'm gonna stop at the store when I get off work in the morning and see what Wal-Mart has to offer. I think I saw a $10 one gallon tank with a filter last time I was there.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #5 
Draug Isilme

Well Pataflafa said she had one that came with a filter and said her fish was doing great, so I wouldn't see why you would have to worry about the filter being too much.. You just have to make sure it's not too strong, and I'm sure you'll need to baffle it... You can always try sponge filters as the output is very easy to adjust and it won't have to be baffled or rigged to where your fish will get sucked into it or try a suicidal death jump inside. You can actually make your own sponge filter as well, if that's something you'd like to try, and that would be even cheaper than the regular sponge filters you'd buy in store >.> But yeah, I'm not an expert on water changes with filters, so I'll let someone else take that since I'm sure they'll have had a hand in experience.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:56 AM   #6 
Pataflafla

I actually got the tank for free from a friend, but I couldn't make heads or tails of the filter so I don't use it. But the filter is pretty small, so I would imagine it wouldn't be terribly strong. I think it'd still be good to do at least a 100% weekly with the filter and moss ball simply for ammonia build up.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #7 
Draug Isilme

Oh, sorry, I guess I just jumped to conclusions since you said it came with a filter ^.^;

but yeah, I'm with her, it sounds about right.. The moss ball is an ammonia fiend, but it's still only one plant in a tank that is small, but I'm assuming isn't small enough. Usually if you want to rely on a plant to take care of the ammonia at a good amount to where it would make a difference, the tank has to be heavily planted enough... but even so, water changes are still required at least once a week.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

having a marimo ball does not decrease how much water changes you have to do .. you still have to do the same recommended amount of w/c for your tank size ..

the benefit of having a moss ball (marimo ball is algae) is:
it eats the nutrients that other algae also love to feast on .. but instead of having wild algae grow all over ur tank walls and decor .. your marimo ball will instead grow in place of other algae that grow .. if that makes any sense =)

marimo balls also produce oxygen .. like most plants out of water .. will take co2 and convert to oxygen in the air .. which is similar to what marimo balls will do .. what they photosynthesize converts to oxygen in ur tank .. which is a good thing

marimo balls are algae .. not exactly a plant
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #9 
Draug Isilme

Yeah, algae is a bit more complicated than just being a plant... but it has similar characteristics of a plant ^.^
Old 09-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

I have had bettas living in one gallon tubs before, and I would suggest going at least a gallon bigger. Honestly, unless you absolutely packed a one gallon tank with plants, you are going to be needing to do frequent water changes whether you have a filter or not.

Because it is such a small space, it will be difficult to establish and maintain a cycle, and the flow from the filter is likely to stress your betta. Additionally, any internal/undergravel filter would just be limiting the amount of water you can put in there.

One of the most difficult things with vases and bowls of this size is maintaining a stable temperature. Usually the only types of heaters that will fit are preset, which are notorious for causing temperature fluctuations. Even if you live somewhere warm, it is not recommended to go without a heater in smaller tanks. The volume of water is not enough to counteract sudden changes in temperature.

Personally, if I was housing a betta in a gallon vase, I would have a bare-bottom set-up with a handful of java moss. This is easy to clean, and maximises available water volume, probably the two most important things when considering smaller tanks for bettas.

A marimo ball on its own isn’t going to consume enough ammonia to limit water changes. Maintaing excellent water quality is vital, as tanks of this size are definitely not as forgiving as their larger counterparts.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote