Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 04:55 AM   #11 
Sakura8

My only problem with 1 gallon tanks is that they are very hard to heat. If you can find a heater that will reliably heat your 1 gallon vase, go for it! But be aware that unless you live in a tropical climate where the temperatures stay in the 80's year round, you will need a heater. Even so, as LittleBettaFish said, a heater really is best.

Also, of course, with a smaller tank, that means more frequent water changes. As long as you keep up on the every other day changes (or 1 50% and 1 100% changes if you follow OFL's advice), your betta should be happy in a 1 gallon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

APPLE BLOOM Avatar!! Sorry...

Anyways, I have some bettas in 1 gallons but they don't have heaters I usually only use them when i get new fish or for treatment. I have had some pretty sad looking fish heal up nicely using a 1 gallon, unheated tank.
I don't like bowls or vases simply because its hard to get the betta out using a cup as they have small openings. If you can, i would go with a 1-3 gallon kritter keeper. With the 3 gallon (which I can get for $12 at petco) you can use a 25 watt heater :)

I'm gonna have to get them into something bigger before too long. When it gets -50F outside, it is barely 45 in here .

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-10-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #13 
fishcurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzleKitty;819957:
I'd get the 2.5 tank I was using before but this dude is in my room and it's hard to carry a 2.5 gallon tank for a water change without dropping it.
Forgive me for asking a silly question, but why not get a bucket just for water changes? Buckets with handles are relatively inexpensive especially from Walmart. Bring the water to your room. Easy peasy.

I honestly think your fishy would appreciate the extra room and stability the 2.5 gallon would afford him :)
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #14 
Leeniex

I have a guy in a one gallon and he is happy. I bought it as a QT tank when he was sick and then ended up with another betta. I do plan on getting another 3 gallon for him this weekend though. I was doing a 50% one day and a 100% change on all other days.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #15 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcurl View Post
Forgive me for asking a silly question, but why not get a bucket just for water changes? Buckets with handles are relatively inexpensive especially from Walmart. Bring the water to your room. Easy peasy.

I honestly think your fishy would appreciate the extra room and stability the 2.5 gallon would afford him :)
*kicks herself in the head* Why didn't I think of that, either?! I do that sometimes and it is pretty dang easy >.< I like using the siphon to suck up all the nasties while doing 50% changes and going through the gravel is a breeze ^.^

Also, it's good to have a couple of jugs on hand. You can fill them up and actually have a lid in comparison to the buckets so you won't spill any water, and whatever little bacteria that's good for your fish has developed in your bowl, you'll be able to dechlorinate the water and pour it in.. You can't have a full cycle with a small space, but good bacteria sometimes manages to grow regardless, and I'm sure every little bit helps.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #16 
Littlebittyfish

I have my one guy in a heated 1 gallon temporarily. I do 100% water chanes every other day. He seems happy in there, but I plan on upgrading him to 4 gallons soon. I wouldn't keep a fish in 1 gallon long term.Bettas can grow up to 3 1/2 inches and my oldest betta looks larger than that.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #17 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
I have a guy in a one gallon and he is happy. I bought it as a QT tank when he was sick and then ended up with another betta. I do plan on getting another 3 gallon for him this weekend though. I was doing a 50% one day and a 100% change on all other days.

Update: he now has a 2.5 gallon glass tank w/ live plants and is very happy.

There was an amazing crowntail at Petsmart and I was soooo tempted.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

The 1gal unfiltered tanks are fine to keep a single long fin male-provided that the needed water changes are made....1-50% and 1-100% weekly and that you don't overfeed and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time...

In smaller containers it better to not use filters unless it is a sponge filter....often the water flow from HOB type filters can destroy long delicate fins.....

Read this-
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=78317
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #19 
hmckin20

petsmart sells some rather spiffy looking 2.5 gallons that have the same appearance of a 10gal. they're pretty compact too, when I had Jericho in his I was able to put mine on his bookshelf. i used a marina 2.5 gal mini heater as well.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #20 
Vaughan06

You need to work on your upper body strength and get atleast a 2.5 gallon

It shouldn't weigh more than 25 lbs.

Also, it might save you money if you go ahead and buy a bigger tank for him. I started with a 2.5 gallon and wasn't happy with it. There wasn't enough room for decor and it looked crowded. So then I bought a 5 gallon, and found my dream Betta. I had to divide the 5 gallon so I could keep both Bettas. That put them in tight quarters, so I went out and bought a 10 gallon.. NOW I'm happy, and I'm sure they are too.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote