Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #21 
LaLaLeyla

-raises hand slowly-
I hope no one hits me xD
I have a 2.5 gal, a 1 gal, and a 1/2 gal for my bettas :P
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #22 
Myates

Ack! I saw the dreaded .5 gal! =P

I have 3 1gals currently, but in a week or so they are moving up into a divided tank, well, 2 are, 1 going to a 3gal. Or all 3 into divided while a new into a 3gal.. haven't figured it out yet since debating on making a large divided tank, or just have many 3+gals all around o.O

Anyways, mine have no trouble in 1gals. Xander likes his tank to be full of plants and such, he loves laying on the leaves and hiding under them. The other two have caves and a plant, but they prefer more open space. A 1gal is enough for them to swim about and live comfortably. Only downside is for us, can't decorate it enough!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #23 
missm83

i had a 1 gallon for about 2 weeks...but i felt like getting a 2 gallon would make a big dif in his happiness...i dont have much space for a big tank either but this one i got from petsmart...it came with the airpump/fliter and the light..he seems to love it !
Attached Images

missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #24 
Creat

I have a male in a bare bottom half gallon..... dont hurt me lol.... like was stated sufficient water changes is fine and the betta will live just a fine life some people love to spoil their betta and thats fine I see no reason that you cant as long as your giving them proper care. Also the shape of the vase determines whether its usable the ones that are tall with smaller tops are more difficult to clean plus they dont get as much air transferred into the water through the surface.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #25 
PiscisAmor

Aliquis is in a 1.5 gallon tank. Vases are a very bad idea because of the limited surface area. You are better off with an actual tank. There's a great corner one that's cheap and convenient. I LOVEEEE it.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFYQ8wIwAA
PiscisAmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #26 
DazzleKitty

Ya know, I think I'll just go ahead and invest in a two gallon tank next payday. I found a vase at home that's a gallon and I will keep him in there for the time being instead of the cramped half gallon.

I'll probably get something with a light too. My bedroom is pretty dark during the day for some reason and I don't always want him in the dark. I'm keeping him in the kitchen for now so he has some light.

Also, we have a LOT of lime in our water. It's the reason why I had to toss my old 2.5 gallon (actually, we gave it to a friend I think). So much lime was on the edges it was impossible to get it off. The lady at Petsmart told me I just may have to replace it every couple of months (the tank was not filtered, btw).

Does bottled spring water or distilled water lack this problem? It'd be worth investing in several gallons of that to keep the lime at bay.

Thanks again everyone for all the help. :)
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #27 
elijahfeathers

I wouldn't go the route of bottled water. Your water has minirels and stuff in it your betta needs. For hard or limey water... I can only suggest maybe a glass tanks and weekly aggressive scrubbing to keep the buildup down.

Also you might find it worth your wile to just invest in a 5 gallon tank + a 5 gallon bucket at walmart. If you get a kit (hood light tank filter, still need heater) the total cost is like.... 40something once you get a heater, and buckets at walmart are only about 3-4 dollars a pop for a sterile 5 gallon.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:30 AM   #28 
DazzleKitty

I may get a 5 gallon tank and cycle it. It's big enough to be cycled, correct? If that's the case, I would have to do entire water changes. Is that right?

I'll try to find a glass tank that's five gallons.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #29 
HatsuneMiku

it's pretty hard to maintain a cycle in a 5 gal .. little things could set off a re-cycle effect where you suddenly get a bacteria bloom .. or sudden spikes in nitrite .. and you have to wait for it to cycle again

it's not impossible to do though .. it just needs a lot more monitoring then larger cycled tanks
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #30 
elijahfeathers

As far as cycling... for my tanks, I just upkeep them. I try not to change more than half the water, and let them go as they will. I'd just suggest a 5 gallon because everything smaller I've tried is a nightmare to heat. Also, is you ever decide to get a second betta, a five gallon can be divided comfortable for two fish-- giving them each 2.5 gallons of space.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote