Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #11 
Fieldz

Bettas can because they have an organ called labyrint. In they wild they lived in rice plantations which had little to no oxygen in the water, so they can breathe air like us. If you
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #12 
Fieldz

Yes because they have an organ called labyrint. You dont have any bettas, do you?
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #13 
betta dude

Exclamation

oh thats bad hear what happend to my crown tail he jumped the divider in one of my tanks and on the other side was a baby veilitail and the veilitail beat my crown tail up both are alive though lucky crown tail
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #14 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldz View Post
Yes because they have an organ called labyrint. You dont have any bettas, do you?
Fieldz, why must you be so condescending to other members on this forum?
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #15 
BettaMiah

I had that same thing last night. I went to go say hi to the boys and I couldn't seem to find Yuuki my Halfmoon. I was freaking out and preparing myself for a dead carcass, when his little head poked out of the decoration. RYU'S decoration. He has gotten across the divider again! This has happened before, and each time I tank my lucky stars he does not die. Ryu was just swimming around. Then, once I got him to his side of the tank, I saw his fin was shredded. His beautiful tail is now a shabby string. :( I think I fixed the problem now though. Hopefully.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #16 
H20Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
I had that same thing last night. I went to go say hi to the boys and I couldn't seem to find Yuuki my Halfmoon. I was freaking out and preparing myself for a dead carcass, when his little head poked out of the decoration. RYU'S decoration. He has gotten across the divider again! This has happened before, and each time I tank my lucky stars he does not die. Ryu was just swimming around. Then, once I got him to his side of the tank, I saw his fin was shredded. His beautiful tail is now a shabby string. :( I think I fixed the problem now though. Hopefully.
Nice Japanese names! My purple, red, and blue boy was named Murasaki, until I started calling him Piggy because of his appetite!

Unfortunately, last week I didn't pay attention to my instincts. I felt I put too much water in my tank, but thought it would be okay. I went to the doctor, and when I came home 2 hours later, he had gotten into the filter tray and had died.

Last edited by H20Gardner; 09-12-2011 at 08:55 PM.
H20Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldz View Post

You do realize that people new to bettas may not know everything... or just new to fish.

Same with the question "fish can drown?" because the human mind says fish + water = life. So saying fish + water = death it's odd, and sometimes needs an explanation.

So to the person who asked that, yes fish can... well, bettas can. Same with african dwarf frogs. They both have labrynths, which let's them breath air :)

Sometimes there were occurances where people have been out an hour or two, come home to a half dried betta on the floor. They toss him in the water and after a little while the fish acts like nothing ever happened. THAT could more than likely be thanks to their special organ :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #18 
1fish2fish

While most of my fish are in bare bottomed jars or in naturally planted tanks (less worry for them getting themselves into trouble). I always check the fish at least 2 times a day, usually when I get home after work before I go to class an then again at night when I feed and do water changes. Before I go to bed everyone gets looked over with a flashlight to see if I notice anything abnormal. Luckily I've never had any issues, only one time did I lose a fish because she jumped out and was dead by the time I checked on the fish again.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

That sucks. Yeah I always check my bettas.... I swear it's paranoia lol. Recently I have been getting fish that die visibly for no reason (internal I guess....) and so I am always checking on my fishies for any signs that are abnormal.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #20 
BettaMiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Gardner View Post
Nice Japanese names! My purple, red, and blue boy was named Murasaki, until I started calling him Piggy because of his appetite!

Unfortunately, last week I didn't pay attention to my instincts. I felt I put too much water in my tank, but thought it would be okay. I went to the doctor, and when I came home 2 hours later, he had gotten into the filter tray and had died.

Oh my gosh I am so sorry. It is always so sad to lose a Betta.

And yes, I am very fond of Japanese names. I love them. I am also looking at naming one of my upcoming African Dwarf Frogs 'Kovu'
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote